Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Gaming HD

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2010 12:52:32 PM

Hey Community!!

I'm currently looking for a raid for my gaming rig.
But I'm not familiar with it.

Raid 0 will be my first option with an optional storage disk for my picture/videos with occasional backup. Or raid 5 with redundancy But i would prefer my first option unless you tell me a raid 5 is faster than 0.

So I need to buy 2 new HD with fast read/write.
Budget 200$-250$ including good raid card if required..
more if other part need to be changed (like PSU...)

Here my rig.
CPU: Intel i5 750
MB: P7P55D
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5870
PSU: Antec TP 550W
RAM 4 x 2Go

Regarding my MB, I'm not sure if the controller is strong enough to get me the maximum of my raid 0.
Also, my PSU might be an issue.....but if you tell me I need to change it....I don't mind since I plan to buy a second GPU HD 5870 in a near future.

So what do you propose? Which HD would be the best for my gaming need and loading time.

More about : gaming

December 18, 2010 8:44:01 PM

Buy a new 750w~ PSU and for HDD get the Samsung Spinpoint F3/F4 as they are considered the fastest 7200rpm HDDs yet. I wouldn't get the VelociRaptor or anything as I don't like their noise level
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 174 G Storage
December 18, 2010 9:54:31 PM

For performance, get a SSD; nothing else comes close. The OS will take about 13gb. If you need to , get a larger conventional drive for storage and backup.

There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.

There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

The value of raid-1 and it's variants like raid-5 for protecting data is that you can recover from a hard drive failure quickly.
It is for servers that can't afford any down time.
Recovery from a hard drive failure is just moments.
Fortunately hard drives do not fail often.
Mean time to failure is claimed to be on the order of 1,000,000 hours.(100 years)
Raid-1 does not protect you from other types of losses such as viruses,
software errors,raid controller failure, operator error, or fire...etc.
For that, you need EXTERNAL backup.
If you have external backup, and can afford some recovery time, then you don't need raid-1.

For the psu, dual 5870 needs 600w and 4 6 pin pci-e connectors.

Good quality units come from Antec, Corsair, PC P&C, Seasonic, and FSX to name a few.

How about the XFX 650W? Modular also:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 108 G Storage
December 19, 2010 5:33:02 PM

geofelt said:
For performance, get a SSD; nothing else comes close. The OS will take about 13gb. If you need to , get a larger conventional drive for storage and backup.

There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.

gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

The value of raid-1 and it's variants like raid-5 for protecting data is that you can recover from a hard drive failure quickly.
Mean time to failure is claimed to be on the order of 1,000,000 hours.(100 years)
If you have external backup, and can afford some recovery time, then you don't need raid-1.

Good quality units come from Antec, Corsair, PC P&C, Seasonic, and FSX to name a few.

^ +1

SSD for speed all the way.
m
l
December 29, 2010 12:55:23 AM

geofelt said:

Well I found a HD 5970 on the web and got a 750 W PSU. Now im with 2 1TB Caviar BlackWestern Digital in raid 0. But im lurking for the SSD so I can keep my 2 1TB as storage and backup disk. Thx for your input. I tough SSD had a short life time, but it seems it can stay 3 years long before it satrt to decrease in performane.
m
l
December 29, 2010 12:55:54 AM

Best answer selected by mike30.
m
l
!