USB printer driver

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hello,
I am trying to install a usb printer onto my daughters laptop. i have used the installation disc, it appears to be fine but the printer is not shown in control panel. Every time i plug the usb in i get the 'found new hardware' 'installing drivers' 'your device is ready to use' bubbles - but it is still not there!!
The printer is a Cannon MP280 scanner/printer - the scanner works fine!
I have also tried an HP printer with exactly the same problem.
The usb's are okay as camera and external harddrives work fine.
I read that sometimes XP can have security issues with printers, we have updated to SP3.
Using Add New Hardware in control panel says to 'chose port' but none are shown.
We have also deleted the drivers, restart and re-install (several times).
It seems to me that a check box deep inside windows needs changing - some setting somewhere is wrong.
An IT friend says that we have a virus, but a scan with kaspersky shows clean
Thank you for any help you can give.

Go into device manager and see if any error code is reported ?
And, are you certain of the sequence of events when doing the install ? That is, hardware connected before or after loading the software.

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
sorry for the slow reply - my daughter is at uni, so i have to text her what to do, wait for her to do it, wait for her to reply.....
anyway, the printer does not show on device manager, so no error codes. The scanner part of it does show and is ok.
I have followed the intructions on the installation disc exactly - run the install prog, connect the printer when asked. The install prog completes as if it is ok, but no printer is there.
I have also tried add/remove hardware, it doesn't find a plug and play printer, and when it asks to manually select port there are none available to choose.
i have also downloaded the driver from cannon, connected the printer and then installed the driver but still no luck.
thanks,
Pat

p.s. apologies to all who read my duplicate post - i had an error shown when i posted and assumed it didn't post, so i did it again...more patience needed i think!

Hi Pat - This is Ken, from across the Pond !
Is this, an all in one device scanner/printer combined ?
From your last post, sounds like you have separate devices.
It sounds to me, there is a USB conflict of some sort.
I would delete the driver in device manager for the problem child,
unconnect any other USB devices, then reboot & see.

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi Ken, it is a combined scanner/printer - the drivers seem to install ok and the scanner is shown in device manager but not the printer.
The only other usb devive plugged in during instalation is a wireless mouse dongle. We have tried installing without this in but still no luck.
thanks for your help,
Pat

Hello again ! I know you said USB is ok because other devices work, but this may be worth a try.
Make sure everything is plugged in and powered on.
In device manager, click the + sign to expand the Universal Serial Bus controller.

On each of the ROOT Hubs, Right Click, and select "Scan for Hardware Changes".

PS: what is the Laptop mfg & model ? And, silly question, but you found this problem by not being able to print, I assume !

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi ksiemb, we found the problem when trying to print from word after installation, only image writer was shown, then found it wasn't listed in control panel\printers either.
The laptop is Asus X50RL, about 4 years old.
I will get her to try the scan but it will be a few days - she is home from uni for the weekend but the computer isn't!
thanks for your help
Pat

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi ksiemb - we tried the scan for hardware changes in device manager, still know luck, we just get the 'found new hardware' 'installing drivers' 'your device is ready to use' bubbles but still no printer installed.
Pat

Drat ! - Well, let's see if the printer is hidden -
Go into device manager
select view
show hidden devices
click the plus sign next to printers
is there exclamation point ?
if so, select properties, see what it says (may be a hint)
then try disable
see if printer works

if not, uninstall, see if printer works :cry:

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
well, im starting to cry...
there is no exclamation point in device manager - under printers i have the cannon shown and an Unknown Device.
Both are showing as 'this device is working properly'.
I have disabled the unknown one, disabled both, re-enabled the cannon, re-enabled the unknown (i.e. all four combinations), the printer is still not shown in the printers folder...arrghh

In the mean time i have done a registery clean. We did have a lexmark all in one printer installed a year ago but the computer took 20mins to boot up so we uninstalled it. The registery clean did remove some old lexmark stuff but didn't help my cannon problem

thanks for your help so far - i should have tried this before, i'm going to ask Cannon
Pat

Delete all references to Unknown Devices. These occured for unsuccessful installs. Canon must have an updated driver because printers should not be shown in hidden devices. Check their Site. If so, Also Delete the Canon printer & reinstall one more time !

Strange, if printer is shown in hidden devices: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

You did not say, but these showed in hidden devices ?

Pat: First off, I apologize for any unintended misleading info !

Printers are supposed to appear in hidden view of Device Manager.
I never noticed that little Gem before, as I haven't had problems with my printers. I tried to edit my previous post, but could not, go figure !

But I would definitely do what you are doing; Contact Canon site, as they may well have an updated driver from since the date the CD was created.

But, I would also uninstall those other devices, and the printer, before attempting another install. Ken :cry:

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Thanks Ken, Cannon have got back to us, they suggested most of what we have tried - but one thing they said was not to use a long usb cable. I didn't help us but maybe that could help someone else who reads this in the future. Apparantly long cables can cause a problem!
Anyway, Cannon are going to remote access the computer and try themselves, again this may take a few days to sort out. I will let you know what happens.
Pat

Thanks Pat - I am interested in the resolution. USB connections do get to be pretty finicky, especially if excessive connection/disconnection of the Cable (static electricity in the persons body, for example). Never heard of the "lengthy cable" bit before, but I suppose it might happen. Don't know too many people that have their printer that far away from the Computer !

My turn.

I saw the cry word used and so more must be wrong than just a bum driver.

patrhi, if you are using XP Pro, you may have a policy blocking the printer from installing or, from being seen or used, even if it did install correctly.

Click Start, Run, and enter gpedit.msc in the textbox and click Ok.

Might as well maximize it so you can see easily.

I have included two pictures to show where to go and what to do.
To make changes, double-click the item in the right pane of the window.

I think a picture can tell a thousand words, so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves below:
(If the picture is not sharp, click on it so it will open in a new window without Tom's compression.)

Printer-POL-1.jpg

Printer-POL-2.jpg

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi Ken and tigsounds, first of all, Cannon had their remote access - they only did what we have don so far and then said its a windows problem!
tigsounds - your info above sounds promising, BUT, we don't have a printers folder. Under both user config and computer config we have
Administrative Templates \ Windows Components
there are no other folders under Admin Templates - we have looked all through the other folders also.
We are running XP Pro 2002
My daughter says i didn't explain that very well...under each of the admin templates folders i only have a windows component folder and there isnt a printers folder anywhere
thanks
Pat

Hi Pat: Sorry to hear you still have this problem. To be blunt, I would return that damn Printer, and Opt for an epson, or HP, in that order !
No reason there should be such a problem installing a printer.
Ken

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi Ken - we have tried a friends HP - still the same problem....Arrghhhh
i do have on old epson, maybe i'll get a usb to parallel adaptor and give that a go!

The group policy controls what can done in Windows. Is is the "Guardian" of sorts.

Your group policy is corrupt. There's ways of fixing it depending on how bad it is. Let's do the easy stuff first:

1.Login as an Administrator, which you probably do normally.
2.Delete the Windows\System32\Group Policy folder.
3.Now, Click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then press ENTER.
4.In Command Prompt type the following command, and then press ENTER: gpupdate /Force
Note: It will forcefully apply the default group policy to the Local computer.

See what good may have come....
Start>Run>gpedit.msc
Does it look like my pictures now? If yes, make settings as shown in pictures.

Still No? Restart computer and look at gpedit.msc again.
Still No? Then it needs more..

Start>Run>cmd>Ok.

Enter "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose" (without quotes) in the DOS prompt field and press "Enter" to restore your policy settings to factory settings.

Let us know if the group policy is repaired. If it is, then the printer should install without changing anything in gpedit.

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
thanks tigsounds, i've just had a couple of glasses of wine - i think i should do this in the morning! I will let you know.
Pat

I'd be drinking a bit myself by now. I don't see this as a Cannon problem. I don't think you can install any hardware right about now. There is still one more repair for the group policy that I haven't shown. It is a bit complex, but very "do-able" (is that right?).

Cheers..

If your daughter has internet access, you can have her look here at Tom's and follow the thread and do as shown without so many 2nd-hand instructions.

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
thanks tigsounds - the group policy now looks the same as your pics, it worked after the first stage (we didnt have to restart or type in the second command).
Unfortunately she is home and the printer is at Uni - we will try it sunday evening when i take her back.....
fingers crossed :)

patrhi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi tigsounds....well - still no printer! the group policies are as above, we re-installed the printer but no luck.
My other daughters laptop is identical, that won't install the cannon usb printer but it does have a wireless printer installed and working fine - this machine had the group permissions installed and set as your pictures.
I have told my daughter to get onto Asus to see if they have any info - i'm sure when the laptop was new they could do an Asus update if my memory serves me well.
Pat