Suitable CPU heatsink/cooler for i5 760?

nickapaul

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hi,
I have an Intel Core i5 760 2,8GHz CPU on a ASUS P7P55D-E MoBo. The CPU heatsink/fan is the original one that came with the CPU.
I'm not an overclocker and don't intend to OC, but even out-of-the-box the CPU temp shoots up >75C when I stress the CPU. It would go higher, but that's where I aborted the stressing. On idle the temp is a normal 38-40C. MB temp is pretty stable 26-30C.
Since I'm not an OC enthusiast, but all reviews I can find are targeted towards extreme cooling I have a hard time deciding what to buy. When I checked my local suppliers catalog, they have a multitude of heatsinks ranging from 10€ to 80€+, and I have no idea which is better than the other...
Can you recommend something sensible and priceworthy that allows me to use the full potential of my un-overclocked system without frying the CPU while not going overboard with some monstrosity requiring it's own nuclear power plant?

Tnx in advance.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
The Cooler Master 212+ is a great, low cost and effective cooler. It fits all mobos and CPUs. Under $30. Assuming you have good case air flow, it should easily bring the temps. down around 10-12C overall.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I agree with Gene O, even with a weak stock cooler temps SHOULD NOT be that high. Something is wrong with the thermal paste or there's a severe air flow issue in the case.

However, if the cooler installation isn't the issue and you get a new heatsink I have to say that the Hyper 212+ is a great heatsink, although I have to admit that it's probably a little overkill if you don't plan on overclocking.

nickapaul

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Thanks guys, you seem to be pretty unanimous about the Cooler Master, I think I'll just go with that, especially since they seem to have it in stock at my local supplier, for 29.90€ (̃40USD). And while I'm at it I'll put the Arctic Silver 5 paste. For that price overkill is not an issue, my box is my one and only tool for income, so I'd better protect it.
And who knows, I might get into OC after all if the Cooler Master is that effective :)
BTW what do you think about the Cooler Master Centurion 5 II case? My current one is an old Nexus Breeze, and it would be about time to change it, even though I suspect that isn't my problem since the MB temp is keeping quite steady at ~25C. For 59€ its specs doesn't look too bad...

Yep that case has a good design and cooling features.