Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Cable
  • Power
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2009 7:53:34 PM

I just changed my 550W Colorsit PSU for the Corsair 550W VX instead. This is the first time i have done anything like this.

After taking all the connectors out and removing the Colorsit PSU i went to put the new connections in place.

I put the 24 pin connector into the motherboard and the 4 pin connector into the motherboard also. I then put the power cable into the disc drive, i put a SATA cable with an adaptor on the end into my Diamondback22 HDD drive and then the power cable into that adaptor. I also added a power cable to the adaptors which control the fans.

Now when i go to turn it on it makes the sounds like it is working but nothing is coming up on the monitor, it just says "no analogue signak". I put the VGA cable into my LCD TV to double checka and the same thing.

Any idea why this is happening?

More about : urgent problems psu change

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 8:05:01 PM

What video card do you have? does it require an additional power cable?
Related resources
May 1, 2009 8:09:21 PM

It is only an 8500gt i didn't take anything out of it so i guess it didn't need anything else goin gin.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 8:19:51 PM

Right. No additional cables there AFAIK - that card consumes little and gets all it needs through the slot itself.

Try reseating the video card and the RAM.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 8:26:22 PM

aevm said:
Right. No additional cables there AFAIK - that card consumes little and gets all it needs through the slot itself.

Try reseating the video card and the RAM.

+1
May 1, 2009 8:31:42 PM

Some mobos require a tiny 4-pin connection to boot. Does the old PSU have a tiny 4 pin connector, kinda looks like a fan connector?

Did it make a beeping sound? That usually means something isn't connected...
May 1, 2009 8:38:19 PM

Ok i took your advice and checked the card and RAM. I wiggles each one and they seemed to be firm, they barely even moved. Then i tried to turn it on again and it booted up fine, signal and everything.

Thanks guys, they seemed so stiff i can't believe that was the problem but it seemed to be the one.

Can i ask one more question as i am about to put my new graphics card in.

I am about to put an Nvidia GTX 260 in for the 8500GT, do you know if i need to manually uninstall the drivers for it before i put in the GTX or will that happen automatically when i put the GTX cd in?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 8:44:07 PM

Uninstall them manually, from Control Panel.

Maybe you shouldn't even use the CD. Get the latest drivers from nVidia's Web site instead.
May 1, 2009 8:46:05 PM

Uninstall old...in with tha new ^_^
May 1, 2009 9:51:06 PM

I unistalled the driver and now i am putting in the new card.

I didn't get the two PCI-E cables i should have done in the box, i only got 1 sadly. Luckily i have a 6 pin PCI-E cable on my PSU connectors so that made up for it.

On the end of the PCI-E power connection i got with the box is a molex adaptor which is 4 pinned but only 3 are used, there is a yellow, black and brown wire..

What goes into that adaptor as it doesn't seem to correspond to any of my connections?
May 1, 2009 10:09:10 PM

Doesn't matter, turns out my PSU has 2 PCI-E connections
May 1, 2009 11:28:03 PM

Now i am back to no signal again after replacing the 8500GT with a GTX 260. The card seems to be in place fine, is there anything other than not being in place that could make this happen?
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 11:36:07 PM

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. You bumped it switching out the card again, whatever it is ;) 
!