Xigmatek CPU Cooler question

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Guys I just built my first desktop while installing this XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 after I spread the thermal grease and put this heatsink in place over the CPU because of the recess and my vision being limited I could not tell if the bottom of the heatsink is entirely covering the CPU chip 100%.... My question is will this matter if it is not?

dbx64

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Yes this can make a huge difference. The best way to prevent it not covering the whole chip is the tighten all the screws. Are you using push pins or the mobo back plating? But to be honest, if it looks flat and does not move alot, you'll be fine.

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Well its a AM3 Board so its using a clip type of rention bracket that kind of goes through the bottom of the heatsink and can slide from side to side but its centered as far as that goes but I just cant tell if its 100% covering the CPU I don't think it is but its solid and in place and not moving.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I have the same cooler (Xigmatek HDT-S1283). It does NOT cover the entire processor, a millimeter or two around the edge is not covered. This is normal. The heat from the processor is generated in the center where the cores (Quad Core Phenom II 940 for me) are locted on the chip. You should have no issues at all as long as you properly applied the thermal paste and have everything installed right.