Sign in with
Your question

Need PSU advice, friend wants to buy a generic...

Last response: in Components
August 5, 2009 11:20:11 AM

A friend is upgrading from an integrated graphics card to a 9800GT (his 8500GT broke a few weeks ago). He currently has a generic 350W PSU installed by his tech guy a year ago. His tech guy now tells him that he should buy a generic, dirt cheap 450W Octigen PSU to handle the new card. I have told him that it is far safer to get a reputable brand, 450w-500w PSU to handle the new card, and give him a bit of headroom for more powerful components later on.

Am I right to be worried, or does his tech guy know what he's talking about?
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2009 11:56:10 AM

Yes you are right to be worried.
No one who really knows hardware would ever suggest getting the cheapest value PSU you can locate :pfff: 
If you get one, you are just asking for trouble.

Value PSU's almost always overrate how much power they can put out.
The power they can put out is normally very noisy, so much so that a sufficiently cheap PSU can cause system failure.
As your value PSU has very low quality internally, when it fails it will probably surge voltage and take the rest of the computer with it.

Tell your friend to get a QUALITY 400w+ Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C or Antec Earthwatts PSU.
A PSU like that will have no issues running his system.

If, after explaining this to him, he still wants a cheap PSU, show him the following link.
http://corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747
Related resources
a c 164 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
August 5, 2009 1:32:26 PM

friends don't let friends buy generic PSU
a c 122 ) Power supply
a c 196 U Graphics card
August 6, 2009 8:05:27 PM

Yeah, show him that clip. Laugh about the poor drone who may have experienced what it shows with such a PSU in his PC.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2009 1:22:21 AM

My generic died in 4 days. Let your friend get what he deserves for being cheap. Or checkout the newegg 48 hour sale. Newegg has an ocz 500w for $29.99 after rebate with free shipping.
a c 122 ) Power supply
a c 196 U Graphics card
August 7, 2009 1:39:01 AM

That's the Sirtec one if I'm not mistaken. Their rep isn't very good, but at least we know it had to survive being loaded to 100% in order to get the 80+ certification.
October 10, 2009 8:58:07 PM

how to order Newegg from india for some free shipment items i want to buy??
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2009 9:01:25 PM

Onus said:
That's the Sirtec one if I'm not mistaken. Their rep isn't very good, but at least we know it had to survive being loaded to 100% in order to get the 80+ certification.

80+? The PSU linked has 67% efficiency.

I'd get something like the Corsair CX-400W.

!