Old/new computer, no POST

Krispebot

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
My friend ran into quite a problem and we've both been struggling to fix it.

It started when he was going to hook his phone into the computer via USB port. He had the USB cord in the phone, and had not yet plugged it in. The other end of the cord touched the case, and the computer instantly went blank. Everything was still running, but the screen was black. Upon shutting down and restarting, the computer would no longer spin up. We tried a number of diagnostics, but eventually gave up.

He ordered a new motherboard, new video card, and new CPU. However, the computer still would not boot up properly. He then ordered a new power supply. Now the computer spins up, but no video is shown.

There is no digital readout on the motherboard, and he's receiving no beeps. We even removed all the RAM, and still there are no beeps. I don't want to say it's a dead motherboard and have him send it back unless that's absolutely the only answer. It just seems like there's something else wrong, but I can't think what.

Components are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Nvidia EVGA 9800 GTX
OCZ 600W power supply
OZC GX XTC 800 - RAM

bigfysh3

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If the RAM was fried and was put into the new motherboard, it is possible that the motherboard roasted as well. Possible, but not very likely.