tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I just started at looking to overclock my amd athlon ii x4 645 cpu did a very little research on the topic... went onto the bios on my m4a89gtd pro/usb3 motherboard and saw like easy/auto overclocking utility (idk what it was called forsure) so i clicked it. it restarted and everything was overclocked cpu is now 3.6 instead of 3.1.... i know you shouldnt software overclock and was wondering if it was safe this way... it made the temps on the cpu go from 29 ish to 33 ish on the stock fan but have a new one on the way... so is it safe or should i go through and manually set everything?

Solution
If you can manually lower the voltage and still have it run stable under Prime95 then it would be a good idea to attempt a voltage reduction since those auto overclock utilities often set voltage higher than necessary, but at your current voltages you should still be fine as long as the temps are low.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
As long as your temps stay low and the voltages are within a safe range then it is safe. The most important temp reading is the temps under load, because those are the highest. If you could post those along with your voltages for your RAM and CPU it would be easier to tell if your OC was good.

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Just rendered a video for 10mins and it got up to 51... dont have a stress tester like prime 95 if you could give me a link that would be great :p
Voltages:
cpu offset voltage 1.440
cpu/nb offset voltage 1.250
cpu vdda voltage 2.493
dram voltage 1.546
ht voltage 1.2
nb voltage 1.187
sb voltage 1.1
side port memory voltage 1.5

thanks

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
depends on the RAM you add. If it is set to run at the same stock timings as the previous RAM then it will OC to the same frequency as the other sticks. For example, if your current RAM was running at 1333MHz pre-overclock, then if you add RAM that runs at 1333MHz at stock as well it'll run at the same overclocked speed as the old RAM.

Obviously if the new RAM isn't capable of running at the higher OCed speed you'll experience instability. In that case you'll have to drop the DRAM:FSB ratio or drop the base clock/HT link speed until the RAM can run stable.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
If you can manually lower the voltage and still have it run stable under Prime95 then it would be a good idea to attempt a voltage reduction since those auto overclock utilities often set voltage higher than necessary, but at your current voltages you should still be fine as long as the temps are low.

Solution