Q-Flash Menu + F10: Power Off = Dead

sirctseb

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Hello people,
Sorry for never contributing anything here and then asking for help.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6

I was in BIOS and entered the Q-Flash menu because I wanted to check the version number to see if I had the latest. I did nothing but stare at the screen for a while, and then wanted to exit so I hit escape, and it asked me to confirm that I wanted to reset something. I did not want to reset anything, so I went back and chose "F10: Power Off" instead. Indeed the computer did power off, but now it won't turn on. That is, pressing the power button has no effect whatsoever. No sign of life at all, no lights, no fans, no nothing. I tried unplugging it for a few minutes, and then I left it unplugged overnight. No change.

Did I kill my MB? Do I just need to do something simple? Reset the CMOS with a jumper?

Other hardware:
ATI Radeon X1800
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
4GB RAM. 2 GSkill, 2 Crucial or something
2 SATA HDDs
2 Optical drives

Solution
I've never heard of anything like this; try powering down, clearing CMOS by jumpering it for a few moments, remove the jumper, power up, and then enter the BIOS to do a "Load Optimized Defaults" - should be back in operation...

Next time you want to know your BIOS rev, just look on your POST screen:
0127q.jpg

(page 36 of your manual...)

bilbat

Splendid
I've never heard of anything like this; try powering down, clearing CMOS by jumpering it for a few moments, remove the jumper, power up, and then enter the BIOS to do a "Load Optimized Defaults" - should be back in operation...

Next time you want to know your BIOS rev, just look on your POST screen:
0127q.jpg

(page 36 of your manual...)

Solution

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
if you have a floppy or usb drive put a copy of the bios on it if the origal gets a virus or whatever it will try to look for it and automatically reinstall the new one if you have virtual duel bios

bilbat

Splendid
Here's a bit from one of my 'standard overclock' files that may help you out next time:

...a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!