Sign in with
Your question

How to connect the cd/dvd drive thingy to the motherboard?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cable
  • CD-Rom
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2009 10:33:38 PM

Before I buy it I need to know if I have enough cables, maybe my dad could help me but he is at work. I don't think a middle school student should build a computer right now, I also have the assistance of my computer lit teacher, but I won't bother her. There seems to be a weird connection for the cd/dvd to the motherboard. Is it a sata cable or a ribbon thingy, and could you also tell me how many cables would I need for both the cd/dvd and the hard drive, my mobo has a sata and a ribbon.

More about : connect dvd drive thingy motherboard

a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 10:42:36 PM

Quote:
Is it a sata cable or a ribbon thingy

The ribbon is IDE. There will be a red line running down one side of the cable or an arrow pointing to pin 1 on the IDE 'thingy'. Your DVD drive will be either SATA or IDE interface. If IDE, attach Pin 1 of the cable 'thingy' to pin one of the DVD drive and pin 1 of the MB's IDE header. Be sure to set the DVD drive to 'master' if using it as an IDE single drive connection. I typed this out so there would be no confusion. :na: 
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 10:45:39 PM

The SATA cable is the thin cable, often red or grey in color. If the DVD/CD burner uses an SATA cable, you can connect it to one of the SATA connectors on your MB. If the DVD/CD burner has an 80 pin ribbon connector, you would connect it to the IDE connector on the MB. Same with the HD....if it's SATA, connect it to the SATA #1 connector. If it uses the 80 pin ribbon cable, set the jumper for CS (cable select) and connect it to yhe IDE connector on the MB.
a c 184 V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 10:47:11 PM

Correct. SATA data from the Hard Drive and CD/DVD to the motherboard and SATA power from the PSU to the drives.

-Wolf sends
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2009 10:48:59 PM

Hopefully, your PSU has SATA power connectors. If so, just connect the SATA power connectors to the HD and DVD/CD writer and connect the HD and DVD SATA data cables to the SATA ports on the MB.
May 1, 2009 10:50:41 PM

Ok thanks, my cd/dvd goes with a free sata. Thanks
a c 223 V Motherboard
May 2, 2009 10:51:42 PM

weirdmystery said:
Ok thanks, my cd/dvd goes with a free sata. Thanks

The wide port on the left in the image link you posted is the SATA power connection. The narrow one on the right is the SATA data connection.

You need to confirm that your power supply has SATA power connectors. If it doesn't, you will need to get a molex to SATA power adapter cable.
!