Getting ready for the A+ certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Im getting ready for the A+ certification. My friends that have taken the test say its easy and I shouldn't worry to much about it, but I don't want to throw 160$ out the window should I not pass.

I have been building my own computers for 9 or so years now and have built a few systems for my friends. I have never had formal training in school for hardware. I have some schooling in C+ programming and have been an enthusiast of computer gaming for the past 9 years.

As of right now I am using http://www.professormesser.com/ videos to start. And have been using http://www.comptia.org/ as a resource.

I was wondering what your opinions on the A+ certification and if you have any other resources I could use to prep me for these tests.

Thank you for your time

sturm

Splendid
I never got my. Didn't see any need to. I don't see the A+ Cert really being worth much nowadays as a 10 year old could build a computer.
To be honest your money would be better spent on getting your MCP or MCSE or a Cisco cert.
Just my opinion though.

last i remember A+ is divided into two parts hardware and software. while good computer building skills will help. they're not enough alone. I suggest going to a book store and picking up a copy of Exam Cram for A+. Skip to the questions at the each chapter and see how you do.

thecolonel2323

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Some jobs will require a person to be A+ certified, but as Sturm mentioned there are more meaningful certs out there. If you can get an MCSE certification you can make good money.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
The main reason why I am getting the A+ cert is a job. I am pressently a supervisor at a call center and our tech guy might be leaving by the end of the year or some time next year. The requirements are at least an A+ cert, and seeing as how the friends that have taken the test said I should be able to pass it with ease, I thought it would be the easiest way from me to qualify for the job.

I was actually helping a friend study for the MCSE and was thinking of picking that up after my A+ cert.

It also seems now that the A+ is split into 4 test, of which, you need to do 2. The essentials and one of the other three.

The CompTIA A+ 2006 Edition exams, 220-601 through 220-604, remain relevant and are in use by organizations and educational institutions throughout the world. These exams will remain in the market until July 31, 2010, to allow all who are training or studying with current materials to complete their course of study.

The CompTIA A+ 2006 Edition certification exam has three separate tracks. The CompTIA A+ Essentials test, exam code 220-601, is required for each first-time applicant. All applicants then choose a test to align with one of the three designations.

CompTIA A+ Essentials covers the basic skills needed by any entry-level service technician regardless of job environment. The exam covers information on basic hardware and operating systems, including installation, repair, troubleshooting, preventative maintenance and security.

IT Technician: For applicants intending to work in a mobile or corporate technical environment with a high level of face-to-face client interaction. Potential job roles include IT administrator, PC technician, and Field Service Technician, as well as non-technical jobs that require understanding of computer repair issues. The exam code is 220-602.

Remote Support Technician: For applicants intending to work in a remote-based environment where client interaction, client training, operating system and connectivity issues are emphasized. Potential job roles include Remote Support Technician, Help Desk Technician and Call Center Technician. The exam code is 220-603.

Depot Technician: For applicants intending to work in environments where hardware-related activities are emphasized. Potential job roles include Depot Technician and Bench Technician. The exam code is 220-604.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Having the A+ cert is better than not having one. To get your foot into the IT field, A+ cert is a good starting point. I would do as suggested, by picking up the Exam Cram and making sure you have good knowledge of the review questions.

Theres nothing wrong with getting your A+ to get a new position, then work your way up from there.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003

This is how I feel. Not using it as an end all be all cert for my self, (which would be stupid) but a simple stepping stone for me to further my self in the IT field.

Thanks!

See if you can't find some online practice exams for A+ and see how you do on them. Alot of places that don't know better think it's a good qualification (go IT management), so it is useful for you. Of course, as far as I'm concrned it just means you know how to use the control panel and which end of the screw driver to hold ^_^.

Just google some practice tests and take them. You'll do fine.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003

Yeah did some of the practice test out there and did fine.

Some of the practice test had questions relating to very old 1980s computers. Was wondering if these questions are still in use by the A+ test?

Im not too worried, now the Network+ I think I will have to really study for.

So far all the tests I have taken and study videos I have watch, where things I learned a long time ago from just messing with computers, a little new information. Its nice to brush up though before the test

To anyone who thinks that A+ is a waste think of this. Would you hire someone on their word they had basic skills or the guy who spend 200 bucks to prove it?

As others have said the combination of netplus and A+ will get your foot in the door at any tech job with potential for advancement. Otherwise you likely to wind up at best buys geek squad or some help desk.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
The test is prett easy, i actually just memorized everything, dont know as much about computers as i used to but , i know how to memorize for test, so just use the practice disc to study. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.