Arctic Freezer 7 not spinning unless ASUS QFan is turned on?

illustrious

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hi Guys

I just installed an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 rev.2 in my desktop, but after connecting it to the 4pin CPU fan connector. As I boot my computer up the fan starts only for a split second before stopping completely.

However, If I turn on my ASUS motherboard's QFan in the BIOS it would do the same thing (starting to spin for a split second before stopping) but after a few more seconds it would start spinning normally.

Also, I always get the CPU fan error in POST after booting up the computer, and from my win7 hw monitor wouldnt display my fan speed

everything else is working fine in my computer.

I'm puzzled by what's going on here. If you guys have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Solution
Too many variables to make an exact determination from here, but a couple of experiments will narrow the possibilities:

There are quite a few reports of the 92mm fan shipped with the AF7 failing.
Try going into BIOS and turning off the PWM fan feature (sorry but I forget where it is). This will allow the fan to receive full, steady voltage. If the fan still doesn't start normally, you probably have a bad fan. If the fan does start normally, you still could have a bad fan but at least your system will function.

There may be a bad wire in the fan loom also, so, if you have an extra fan/molex connector (Some MOBOs ship with one), try plugging the CPU fan directly into a PSU rail (and, of course, plug some fan, any fan, into the CPU...

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Too many variables to make an exact determination from here, but a couple of experiments will narrow the possibilities:

There are quite a few reports of the 92mm fan shipped with the AF7 failing.
Try going into BIOS and turning off the PWM fan feature (sorry but I forget where it is). This will allow the fan to receive full, steady voltage. If the fan still doesn't start normally, you probably have a bad fan. If the fan does start normally, you still could have a bad fan but at least your system will function.

There may be a bad wire in the fan loom also, so, if you have an extra fan/molex connector (Some MOBOs ship with one), try plugging the CPU fan directly into a PSU rail (and, of course, plug some fan, any fan, into the CPU fan connector so the BIOS will be happy). If you can accomplish this and the fan still will not start normally, the fan is bad.

You could also try switching the chassis fan with the CPU fan and seeing if the CPU fan will now start normally, if it does....hmmm....something is set wrong in your BIOS.

Solution

illustrious

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hey guys

thanks for the replies. So I tried connecting the Arctic fan to the PSU directly, and the same thing happens: during boot it would move for a split second before stopping completely.

I want to also add that when I try to push the fan with my finger toward its rotation direction it would start spinning slowly then works normally. do you think I have a defective fan?

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
If, while plugged into the PSU rail, it would only spin when pushed, the fan is definitely defective.
Bad commutator most likely, but a faulty bearing could be to blame.
Can you still return it? If so, Noctua, Siverstone, Zaward, and Aerocool all make nice fans. Stick with Fluid Dynamic or SSO bearings and you can't go wrong.
Cheers!

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I doubt it's the Q-fan control. The OP plugged it into the PSU rail and it still would not spin freely.

mavroxur

Distinguished

^ +1

If OP plugged it directly into a PSU molex, and the fan still doesn't work, it's probably the fan.