Doubt regarding processor

abhijith

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I am asking this question for my friend. He wants to build a new system and he has a doubt about the processor. If i were to place a Phenom II X3 on an AM2+ board would there be any performance decrease since the board is not AM3? I asked this because if I were to buy an AM3 board the I would have to buy DDR3 memory which is too expensive. Also can you guys suggest a motherboard supporting Crossfire under 120$?

ke7diz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
a very slight performance decrees in the order 1% or so
but the good thing about am3 is that amd has recently been relesing there new prosesers as a drop in upgrade
so if you buy ddr3 and am3 when you upgrade nest you could keep the mainbord ram and or cpu so it will be cheaper then

There is a small decrees in performance depending on the situation. In fact, in some instances the higher latencies of the DDR3 RAM will cause the system to be a little slower than a similar AM2+ board with DDR2 RAM. Go with the ASRock 790GX board if you're going to try and unlock the 4th core. If not, then you may want to spend a little more for the Gigabyte 790X board.

If you want an even cheaper board though you can go with the ASRock 780 GXE for $94.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157139

And while its based on the 780G chipset it uses a switch card to divide the 16x lanes between two slots since the 780G chipset is not capable of doing it automatically like the 790 series chipsets. You still get the two 8x PCI-E 2.0 slots and it's a good little board.