Sign in with
Your question

New Radiators coming in the next few weeks

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 16, 2011 1:19:45 PM

So, to pass the word along, I ran across the following thread over at OCN forums (where I am also a member; same name) and it sparked a huge amount of buzz over there. Apparently, we will be seeing a whole new line of radiators from an unknown vendor in the coming weeks. They look to be very, very similar to the unicorn of TFC, the Admiral line of radiators. Take a peek.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/941764-new-radiators-coming-soon.html

More about : radiators coming weeks

February 16, 2011 8:44:36 PM

I've been seeing the buzz about these new designs floating around. I'm kind of surprised that despite the rumbling I can't find these yet on the (North American) market. Though with all this buzzword tossing and Made in Germany chest thumping I'm wondering if the cost of these suckers will be worth whatever efficiency they offer.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 16, 2011 8:49:20 PM

The rumor last summer was the Admirals would be 2x as effective as most same-format rads. Ex: 1 of their 3x120 rads = 2 regular 3x120's.

I'm just curious about price and performance.
Related resources
February 16, 2011 8:58:48 PM

Yup, I've seen the 2x number, but no mention on price. A 3x120 would have to fall under about $100 or else I would just buy a pair of MCR320's.

Then again, I'm not too hampered by space requirements. If they live up to the claims than they could be a real boon to those working with smaller cases.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 16, 2011 9:01:43 PM

I'm running a pair of MCR320's...great rads for the price. I'd hop to a 4x120 or a 4x140 if these things end up performing like the hype suggests.
February 16, 2011 9:11:57 PM

A pair MCR220's and a MCR320 here. They fit quite snugly in a HAF 932. Though with these new suckers I could really cut down on my over-long tube path by not having rads everywhere.

Makes me wonder if the boys at Swiftech will follow suit and make another price winning addition to their portfolio. That would make me a very happy person. (They could at least bring this century's style to their website)
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2011 11:39:33 PM

Sweet!!
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 17, 2011 12:56:32 AM

Yeah, their website is very 1990's.
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2011 1:46:25 PM

this is rebranded TFC ,feser should be ashamed after sucking 40.000 large from frozen
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 24, 2011 1:58:35 PM

They 'claim' it is in 'no way affiliated with TFC'.

It looks way too similar not to be part of the same engineering plans. I think it's a way that TFC is getting the tables turned on them; there apparently was a debacle between Frozen/TFC when the Admirals were first announced and in development...something about some engineering samples going missing and some money being grabbed and never seen again.

As much as I love TFC and FrozenCPU...I'd love to see a juicy story pop up regarding this new hardware about to come out. Given the time frame from Sept. (when the Admirals were supposed to be released), a Q1 '11 launch of a 'new' prototype radiator sporting the exact same look as an Admiral leaves me wondering if money/greed/innovation ran wild...and into the arms of another manufacturer...
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2011 2:10:01 PM

Yep they came to hotel room grabbed the sample from frozen and handed to dez..
i was fortunate to see the introduction video (deleted in one day) with CEO of feser it was funny,BTW i'm glad hw-lab scraped the lego (modular) idea
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 24, 2011 2:12:27 PM

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. I just want to know what happened with this...it's far too coincidental to me.
February 24, 2011 6:04:53 PM

Holy cripes that article has a lot of buzzwords (read: expensive?). Also, it strikes me odd to use stainless steel as the actual heat transfer metal over brass. I guess we'll have to wait on a proper review to see if the stainless is worth the cost of the metal. Even though there's aluminum only in the frame and outer structure you're going to see people running away from it.

I never knew the odd story behind this design and delays. Flipping through the OCN thread an wow, what a lot of speculation about the origin of these suckers.

Also, big rad is big.

What's this hard-on with the German engineering? My dad has a sample of German Engineering over at his place with a misfiring cylinder! :p 
February 24, 2011 6:25:43 PM

Wow, the estimated price on this specific model is 185€ (!). These better leave me gobsmacked in the performance review. After a quick and dirty conversion that's more than $100 over some of the most costly rads available in the US.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 24, 2011 7:12:30 PM

185 Euro = approx. $255

Yeah, there is a lot of swirling questions surrounding these rads, Feser and FrozenCPU. I actually emailed Mark the FrozenCPU president this AM and basically got 'can't talk about it...lots going on'.

a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2011 1:19:20 AM

Nice. If these are worthy, I may pick one up for my LGA2011/Bulldozer fit (may end up being a 2P too).
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 1, 2011 1:28:07 AM

Quote:
Here´s a translation of what the guy from Lötters Company / Thermalfin wrote @HW Lab Comments Section:

Many of you might be familiar with the history of these radiators, so I'll skip this "dark chapter of a cooperation".
It's true that the radiators look a lot alike as they are part of the same "family".
The entire production is designed for high quality...starting at the used materials (I know...stainless steel), over the way surface treatment, to the service. Why stainless steel out of all the possibilities?
When taking a look at the prices of copper, one can see that they are skyrocketing. Stainless steel can't transfer heat as good as copper, but, and this is the most important part, if I cover a 0.2mm thick pipe out of stainless steel with an aluminum pipe, the material of the inner pipe gets less and less important... (Did anyone ever touch a knife out of stainless steel, that just came out of the dishwasher? It's damn hot!)...a thermal breakthrough occurs, the thermal conductivity of the aluminum is all that counts, so everything works out just fine. So much for the stainless steel issue.
Also, there's no soldering involved in the production. Everything is welded together by lasers, resulting in no deformation at all. It also doesn't require any additives, so the radiators are fully RoHS-compilant.

I hope I was able to explain a few things...
Regards,
Tom / thermalfins

From Overclock.net; one of my other homes.

March 1, 2011 8:11:46 AM

My first though to that statement was that the knife never cools off fast enough.

Copper's specific heat is only about 1.3 times lower than stainless. With some good engineering you could easily mitigate that difference. Though you could drop copper back in again and probably get even more benefits. What's more interesting is getting around the larger performance difference of copper/aluminum on those tube-fins.

I find the "thermal breakthrough" thing sounds a little odd. Is the heat energy somehow "skipping" the stainless?

Cost wise it makes sense as copper is a bit less than 4 times the cost of stainless at the moment, though it doesn't feel like those savings are being passed on with that price tag.

Still waiting for the moment of truth, the performance review, to show up in that thread.
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 1, 2011 12:16:18 PM

Yeah, I'm staying with it as well. I've put in a fair amount of time on that thread so the 'mystery' surrounding these rads is high on my list. It would be nice to get some truth as to the source of the design since it clearly mimics (closely) that of the Admiral's; the unicorn of the watercooling world.
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2011 6:26:29 PM

d0gr0ck said:
My first though to that statement was that the knife never cools off fast enough.

Copper's specific heat is only about 1.3 times lower than stainless. With some good engineering you could easily mitigate that difference. Though you could drop copper back in again and probably get even more benefits. What's more interesting is getting around the larger performance difference of copper/aluminum on those tube-fins.

I find the "thermal breakthrough" thing sounds a little odd. Is the heat energy somehow "skipping" the stainless?

Cost wise it makes sense as copper is a bit less than 4 times the cost of stainless at the moment, though it doesn't feel like those savings are being passed on with that price tag.

Still waiting for the moment of truth, the performance review, to show up in that thread.

good post dog
Edit; I'l take copper RAD over this thing any day,if it crap's out on you at list you can get some money for it
..cheaper material but yet more expensive than any RAD on the market ..makes a lot of sense :pfff: 
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2011 1:02:37 AM

Sales volume will be marginal, as only extreme enthusiasts can make use of it's theoretical potential.
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 2, 2011 12:09:46 PM

I for one, am very curious. It's been a few years since I have purchased a radiator, and if these perform as well as they have been touted (Admirals were supposed to be 2x the performance of any single, same-dimension rad) then these will be worth the cost.

Do I think it's overkill? Yes. Definitely. We're watercoolers...everything is overkill; it's why we watercool.
March 2, 2011 4:09:42 PM

^ Cheers to that.

I want to see how the slimmer Xs ones will perform, only because mounting those would be easier for me. Also to see if they can perform with lower pressure fans.

As I look at my very dirty rad, I also wonder if that design will be less prone to dust build up.
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 2, 2011 4:17:08 PM

They 'appear' to be much more open in the sense the larger tubes allow for more airflow. But, the biggest question on every forum is how well the new tubing design performs being that it doesn't use copper in the tubes...it's aluminum and stainless. Thin wall design allows for better/faster heat transfer compared more expensive and softer copper which would require thicker walls and cost more.

Of course, this is all speculation until we see some data to support it either way.
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 25, 2011 5:01:59 PM

To add to the hype of the Thermalfins rads (that have yet to surface with a review or actual sales date) here is a little information on the Watercool Radiators coming soon with some pics.

I know...not much more than we've seen, but looks as if there are other rad solutions coming soon.
March 25, 2011 5:51:23 PM

How long has "soon" been now? I think that Artem said he was shipping one to Skinnee for testing, but so far the mail box has been empty.

I wonder if there's another dramastorm behind closed doors.
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 25, 2011 5:55:26 PM

Personally, I'm a little tired of watered-down hype-soup.

I want some meaty, results-proven-man-chili so I know what to spend my cold, hard cash on.
March 25, 2011 6:00:06 PM

I just snorted toothpaste while reading that. Thank you.
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 25, 2011 6:02:43 PM

Hey, no problem. This moment will stick in your memories for at least another good 10 minutes or so.
April 8, 2011 6:55:20 PM

As we sit here and twiddle our thumbs over this I popped over to the (finally) re-designed Swiftech site and noticed a blank page for a "MCR XP Xtreme Performance Series" radiator that will come in 120 and 140mm sizes. Quick Googling reveals that no one really knows anything besides a name on these.
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 8, 2011 6:59:09 PM

Figures. I was just wondering about these Thermalfins as well as the reported new Magicool rads that are similar in design. Now this. I think I saw that blank page on the XP rads a week or so ago...and the speculation of what that is all about.

I really hate waiting on stuff.
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2011 4:57:01 PM

can't wait for bundy review
April 21, 2011 5:15:15 PM

if the slim rads perform twice as well as current ones, I might be able to just swap out what I'm using now and add a gpu to the loop. Sucks this is taking so long, I want to see some test results, and prices.
April 21, 2011 5:26:42 PM

Wow, finally got some more back room details on what went wrong with the whole TFC thing.

It's exciting to FINALLY see these hit the testers.
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 21, 2011 6:23:18 PM

Yeah...that write-up kind of sheds a different light on FrozenCPU and TFC...it's interesting that these guys are willing to explain what happened and neither Frozen/TFC have peeped a word.

Quote:
if the slim rads perform twice as well as current ones, I might be able to just swap out what I'm using now and add a gpu to the loop. Sucks this is taking so long, I want to see some test results, and prices.

My understanding is that they are all of this 'larger' size format. It would be more difficult to mount in traditional mounting situations, but they are supposed to perform 1.5-2x better per fan space than most traditional rads...we'll see when the tests roll in.

Interestingly enough...I haven't heard anything from Skinnee or Martin...those guys usually are on the top of the testing list.
April 21, 2011 8:32:37 PM

Aren't Skinnee and Martin North American testers? It seems like it's not leaving Europe at the moment.

I'm impatiently awaiting Skinnee's Apogee XT rev2 review right now anyway.
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 21, 2011 8:48:26 PM

Yeah, I think they both life in Oregon somewhere if I recall. I guess you make a good point on that one. I just want to see some results before I get too excited about a US availability date.
!