What hardware is needed for Television viewing on computer?

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I'm building a new PC - with 2 monitors ( Both Dell's that will be upgraded in time ) and I want to make sure I don't overpurchase - or buy the wrong thing. To date - I've only used a single monitor - so this is a new concept for me.

My goal - have a PC - with 2 monitors - where I can use
* 2 monitors to multi-task at some times
* At other times - use one monitor to view Comcast Cable television - and one monitor where I can multiitask ( during sports game ). I may also watch a DVD rather than Comcast cable feed with a similar function.

I'm considering a GTX 250 video card ( may be too much - as I'm more interested in PC / multitask / television viewing vs 3D gaming )
* Do I need to get a full tuner card in order to accomplish this
* Can I use a less expensive piece of hardware and have my Cable Box be the tuner - and use some kindof splitter to run a Coaxial feeed to my PC and just run the signal of output through my monitor.
* Since I'm not a gamer - can I save money on the Video card - and invet it in a better piece of equipment to achieve my desired outcome?

Does my PC monitor run a TV signal directly - like a standard television - OR - does it somehow run through my video card. I have to pick up my i7 920 chip tomorrow at a local store to maintain my Sale price being held for me. I'd like to fully understand this before I pick it up.

Thanks

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
You can use your monitor as a TV.

I know mine has HDMI inputs just like a TV and an "input" button to switch between the inputs, again just like a TV.

So, you could get away without buying a tuner card, but it's going to depend on your monitor and whether or not you want to run the Comcast feed through your computer or not.

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
You can use your monitor as a TV.

I know mine has HDMI inputs just like a TV and an "input" button to switch between the inputs, again just like a TV.

So, you could get away without buying a tuner card, but it's going to depend on your monitor
and whether or not you want to run the Comcast feed through your computer or not.

Both my Monitors are cheapo Dells right now. They'll be retired one at a time. Both VGA inputs as the only option. When I get bigger monitors - I can look at alternative inputs.

So it sounds like - I could just get away with a Haupage Video tuner like this one to at least get me up and running. My standard VGI monitors will run TV video just like I can watch a Youtube video or other web media.

Is that correct???

15-116-007-13.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116007

I bought a Hauppauge 950Q USB stick and have not been able to get the clearQAM (unencrypted digital) to work at all - everytime I scan for clear channels it crashes WinTV6, and WinTV7 (latest version) can't find the stick no matter what drivers I load in XP MCE. Hauppauge's tech support is supposedly terrible, and despite several hours browsing their UK forums and trying some solutions, still no joy.

I had much better luck with my old ATI all-in-wonder 9800 card, but of course that is strictly analog tuner - no ATSC or clearQAM. And I have heard bad things about the HDTVWonder, but that has been replaced by an updated card which may be better. Not many reviews on it that I have found so far, but then I haven't looked real hard yet :).

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I was looking at Slingbox - but the video looks to be constrained by your uploading time.

I may give this haupage a try and see how it works. I need to get the rest of the system up and running with any bugs worked out before I worry about the TV viewing.

I wanted to factor it into my build though so I'm not leaving anything out - or misallocating resources. If anybody knows of a Card that works better than the haupage - feel free to post it. I'll definitely be in the market for a card in the not too distant future.