Custom water block specs?

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I have access to lots of awesome machines where I work. EDM's Mills, Lathes etc... I have a large chunk of aircraft grade aluminum. I do not have copper nor the additional money for buying copper. I was wondering what the base dimension of the waterblock should be mounting it to a processor? The first test subject will be a OC P4 Northwood. If things work well it will then make it to a trial run on my I7-920. Just dont know how thick I should make the base of it... I was thinking like .075" but not sure. Any thoughts?

Solution
It should cover the entire IHS of the CPU. Mounting it can take shape however you feel necessary, but take care of using too much pressure.

In theory, you want a thick amount of heat absorbing metal making contact, but not too much so that the water channels and pins take too long to pull the heat out. If you have a large chunk...try different concepts.

I like DIY projects like this, so curious to see how it turns out. Once you get a good, working design in place, consider springing for copper...you should see much better thermal results.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It should cover the entire IHS of the CPU. Mounting it can take shape however you feel necessary, but take care of using too much pressure.

In theory, you want a thick amount of heat absorbing metal making contact, but not too much so that the water channels and pins take too long to pull the heat out. If you have a large chunk...try different concepts.

I like DIY projects like this, so curious to see how it turns out. Once you get a good, working design in place, consider springing for copper...you should see much better thermal results.

Solution