REinstalling SP6a

G

HI All

I recently installed NT4 on my machine then installed SP6a on top. After a few weeks I decided to reinstall SP6a 'cos I have installed new hardware/software. Now this is the same CD i used to originally install the SP and it is now telling me that I have the High Encryption version of NT and refuses to install ....WTF??
Any ideas on this one?
Will I have to remove the Service Pack and then reinstall it?
The only thing I can think of is that I upgrade IE from 5 to 5.5. Could this have altered my version of NT to a High Encryption Version?

Any advice would be a great help

TIA

K7S5A. 1.2T'Bird@266Mhz 128Mb DDR. WinNT4 ......No Problems!

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
You already have your own answer. You've probably kicked yourself to 128bit by upgrading IE.

Just grab a 128bit version of sp 6a and you'll be good to go.

G

Thanks for the advice.........
However I decided to reformat and reinstall anyhow. I picked up another weird problem.......Whenever right clicking on a file or drive and selecting Properties the machine would hang with a dotted line across the screen and no mouse movement........ctrl-alt-del wouldn't even work.
Anyhow fresh install with IE 5 is 100%.....no hangs and no 128bit encryption.

Once again........thanks

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
RE: "ctrl-alt-del wouldn't even work."

Yep. The NT interprets this key combination its own way, different from of Win9x.
You are right. The clean install is the right remedy.

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
I'm still wondering why he needed to reinstall sp6 to start with. That wouldn't help it to "see" new hardware or software.

G

It's not that it needed to "see"' anything. It's just that I'd read that after installing new hardware or software it's a good idea to reinstall the service pack

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
<shrug> Well it's the first I've ever heard anything like that before. And personally it seems like a waste of time. I just don't see what benefit there is to removing and re-applying a service pack if it's working correctly. And that's assuming that when it was installed the box was checked to back up replaced files.
Oh well.. so long as it's working...

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
If you add/remove any components to Windows NT/2000 or add/remove certain hardware and software the operating system will load additional files from the /i386 install folder to itself. The problem is that these are non-service packed files and you'll end up with a mix of old and new .dlls and other files. You should ALWAYS re-run a service pack after you do this or you'll have inexplicable problems.

Reinstalling the service pack is also a nifty way to correct any corrupted files you may not be aware of. It is a "worth a shot" troublshooting step that pays off often.

The Windows 2000 service pack also has an option that allows you to service pack the i386 files so that any future changes already have the pack applied.

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
> the operating system will load additional files from
>the /i386 install folder to itself. The problem is that
>these are non-service packed files and you'll end up
>with a mix of old and new .dlls and other files.

Now that makes sense. God, the lack of forethought in the service pack method of updating kills me. The OS will eventually corrupt itself....:) beautiful! haha..