Strange drive letter assignment after reinstalling XP Pro

After reinstalling a fresh copy of XP Pro, my main volume
has been labeled F: instead of the typical C:. Any
solutions as to changing it back? Tried in disk
management console but got error stating that I could not
change main volume drive letter. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about strange drive letter assignment reinstalling

    EccentricMedic wrote:
    > After reinstalling a fresh copy of XP Pro, my main volume
    > has been labeled F: instead of the typical C:. Any
    > solutions as to changing it back? Tried in disk
    > management console but got error stating that I could not
    > change main volume drive letter. Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    What removable media (other than CDs) did you have hooked up during the
    install?

    Unhook everything but your hard drive, cdrom drive, sound/video/NIC and
    reinstall.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    there is a multi-card reader integrated into the
    notebook. I'll try to disable it in the bios and try
    again. thanks for the help

    warranties of any
    >kind, express or implied. In other words, read up
    before you take any
    >advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
    actions.

    >.

    Not strange at all if you kept your zip drive attached
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304776
    www.coribright.com

    "EccentricMedic" <ahopp@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > After reinstalling a fresh copy of XP Pro, my main volume
    > has been labeled F: instead of the typical C:. Any
    > solutions as to changing it back? Tried in disk
    > management console but got error stating that I could not
    > change main volume drive letter. Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    for your information the reason zip drives and all iomega harddrives do
    that is because if you check disk management they are listed as
    healthy[active]. disks that are active can have a os on it.
    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Not strange at all if you kept your zip drive attached
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304776
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "EccentricMedic" <ahopp@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > After reinstalling a fresh copy of XP Pro, my main volume
    > > has been labeled F: instead of the typical C:. Any
    > > solutions as to changing it back? Tried in disk
    > > management console but got error stating that I could not
    > > change main volume drive letter. Any help would be
    > > greatly appreciated.

    ---

Configuration Windows XP