OK to go for higher BLCK and lower Multi?

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I have:
i7-860
GA-P55-UD4P
H50

For some reason I seem to have better luck using a higher BCLK and lower multiplier. Is this OK? I've read it's better for higher multi and lower BCLK, but not sure why, I'm a noob at this.

I can boot into windows with 20x and 200 BCLK, but can't with 22x and 181 BCLK or any other combo i've tried to reach 4 Ghz.

Voltage is set at 1.29
Ram: 1.5
everything else AUTO

Thoughts?

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Thanks for the input.

How will I know if PCIe/PCI is running at their rates speeds?

The only thing I have changed is vcore, set RAM to 1.5v - which is what they're rated, and pci to run at 100mhz. Everything else is set to auto.

Anything else I need to set?

I'm having the same problem myself.I've maxed out the multiplier at 19.5 and now i'm just trying to use the HT Link to get the last couple mhz.It's very difficult because i can't even get 100mhz without having to readjust the timings on my RAM.And i'm also still new to it so i'm not sure how to properly change the timings.Still trying,it takes patience and dilegence.

When you use the HT Link it also uses the RAM.So at the same time your O.C.ing your CPU your RAM also goes up with it.When it starts to get out of it's normal rated speed you will start to see instability.This is when you must manually change the timings for the RAM to gain stability again.It's really messy with the HT Link thats why i just use the multipler but you can only get so far.
The reason why you can't boot when you lower the HT Link is because you are also lowering the RAM freq.When you mess with the HT Link the RAM is also connected to it it so altering it also alters your RAM.Because you lowered it you also lowered your RAM and without the right timings on it that is why it crashed.Takes lots of fine tunings to get the RAM and HT Link to work correctly.

What type of cooler do you have?

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

I have the Corsair H50. At 4Ghz, temps will peak about 81C and idle under 40, could be better, but not bad.

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

According to Core Temp, the Tj Max is 99. I've hit 89C with mine while running Prime 95, a little too close for comfort if you ask me!

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks for that! that really helps!

Do you use LinX for testing?

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Corsair H50

UPDATE: No longer seems to be stable at 4Ghz
had to dial it back to 3.8 & 1.275v too much heat and wouldn't pass Intel Burn Test or more than a few minutes of prime 95

I had to crank it up to 1.3 to be somewhat stable at 4Ghz, don't want to go much beyond that.

Do i need to adjust the vtt? It's set to auto right now.

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

I do have the push/pull configuration with the 3 speed fan that came with the cooler and then another 120mm fan that came with my cooler master scout case.

It is set to pull the air from the outside into the case. I know most people suggest doing it the other way around, but after trying it both ways I've found that since the air is cooler outside of the case most of time, the CPU stays cooler if you bring the cool air to it instead of taking away to hot air.

Another reason is that this case does not have the great airflow when you fill it with hard drives and video cards. So bringing air in works better for me.

I wish the temps were better though at load :(

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks! One more questions, do i need to adjust the vtt?if i want to get my memory closer to it's rated speed? it's set to auto right now

Memory is rated at 1333 but i had to drop it to 1140 with a multipler of 6 and a BLCK of 190. I'd like to get it to 1333 or 1600.

Do I just adjust the timings to do that? If i change the memory multi, do i need to adjust the vtt?

Whats the vtt?
Do you have CPU-Z?
If or when you have CPU-Z go into it and under "SPD" choose which slot oyur RAM is in and one you have the right slot slected it will show you what avaible timings are aviable for your RAM.
Here's an Example:

If the timings don't show up for 1600 then your on your own.Gotta do it manually.

You probably won't get to 1600 on 1333-rated RAM, and attempting it can easily destabilize an overclocked CPU. Plus, faster RAM actually has very little effect on performance.

You should be able to set the memory multiplier to 7 (assuming the option is there in the BIOS) and with the BCLK at 190 that would make the memory speed 1330MHz. With four sticks of RAM, some boards need more RAM voltage. Try 1.55v or 1.6v to see if that helps.

VTT is the memory controller voltage on the CPU. Auto is fine when you are at or below the rated speed/timings of your RAM.

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I unfortunately only have 6, 8, 10, 12, etc.. in the BIOS for the memory, so I'm running at 6 multi. And yes I do have 4 sticks in.

Any reason why LinX won't start? The bar stays gray and never run the test but the clock keeps counting. No results are populated in the chart below after starting it and letting it run for 10 minutes or so