ASUS GTX 470

bigcatattack

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
What is the best and safest speed to overclock the asus gtx 470? I am new to the forums. I have msi afterburner and the only thing i have messed with is the fan speed. the default settings are:
core voltage .962
core clock 607mhz
shader clock 1215mhz
memory clock 1674mhz

nighthawk4

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
GPU's are really hard to break, so it's good to learn the basics of overclocking on a graphics card. the cards are not all the same, so every card overclocks differently, even if they're the same make and model. what you need to do to overclock is download Furmark, and use that to overclock. also, download GPU-Z, to be able to monitor your VRM temps.

so, run Furmark, and at the same time run MSI Afterburner. you don't have to go fullscreen with Furmark, a 1024x768 window with 4x MSAA is good enough. then when it's been running for 1-2 minutes, start putting your memory or your GPU (i started with my memory) higher with about 10 MHZ, and then go back to furmark and test stability for 4-5 minutes. also watch your VRM (memory) temps very closely in GPU-Z, as your memory is usually not cooled as good as your GPU and will run hotter than furmark or MSI afterburner indicates. don't worry if your PC crashes and you get a screen with weird vertical/horizontal lines, your graphics card will survive. just reboot and your clocks will be reset again. after that reboot, go back into MSI afterburner and lower your clocks with 10 MHZ. then test for stability for at least half an hour. if you've done that, you can move onto your GPU. your GPU will show artifacts on your screen when it's running too high, so you will see black squares/dots/something on your screen. when you see that, immediately pause furmark (spacebar), and lower your clocks. if it's still showing artifacts, reboot and put it back up to 10 MHZ below the clock that you've found artifacts at. and then you've overclocked your graphics card :)

you can go and overvolt (put the voltages higher), but that will shorten your cards life and increases the chances of doing something wrong and burning your card. i suggest not trying that until you've read up on it and have some experience in overclocking.

this is pretty much what you can do for any card. so go ahead and have fun :p