Revan79

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Hello,

I'm new to this whole overclocking business, I currently built a new system equipped with a phenom II 955 3.2ghz and I went ahead and overclocked it to 3.5ghz with the cmos multiplier, I'm using core temp to monitor the temperatures and currently its around 32C idle and 52C full load, my question is, is 52C hot under full load? or is this somewhat a normal temperature? thanks for the help in advance.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Did you actually read up on overclocking before you went ahead and upped the multiplier?

the temps are alright, especially if you are using the stock heatsink. The main thing i would worry about is stability though, cause if you havn't upped the voltage then that OC is probably not stable. If you have, and are still using the stock heatsink, then you have a very good chip.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Revan, could you list your components or create a Sig. please. It'll make it easier for us to help...thx

The max. temp. for the 955 is 62C, and you are well within that perimeter. However, most OC'ers are running 55C and below for 24/7 OC's (longevity and less chance of heat related issues).

You may want to start over by going onto the BIOS and hard setting Core voltage (1.35v-1.40v) and set-up your memory timings/voltage (need more info.) Otherwise you may get variations in your OC every time you start your PC.

Revan79

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
thanks for the replies guys, I left the voltages at automatic, the mobo seems to do automatic voltage adjustments and I only messed with the multiplier. I've put in considerable hours of gaming and haven't had a single stability issue with it, the temps are also very stable, the highest i've seen it go is 53C after hours of constant gaming. I guess my only question is wether 52/53C is something i should worry about or not?

Revan79

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
OH btw,

Here's my config:

Phenom II 955BE 3.2ghz @ 3.5ghz, Gigabyte A-870A-UD3, WD 1TB HDD black edition, 8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1600mhz, MSI HD6850 PE/OC, Sound Blaster X-fi xtreme Music, Cooler Master Centurion, OCZ PSU 600Watt, ZALMAN CNPS 7500 AlCu LED 2 Ball CPU Cooler.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
If your real goal is gaming I'd have to say your good to go. Upping your clock speeds from @3.5 isn't going to net much, if any change in Game-play.

Keep in mind, if you do decide you want more out of the 955 you may need a little better cooling solution than the 7500 AlCu. Don't get me wrong... I have a Zalman 7500 Cu on my mom's 3200+ and it is a decent cooler (4+ years), it's just that newer coolers are a lot more effective, plus most move the warm air off the CPU and out of the case.

UF