Recovering a formatted harddrive

thedertyhobo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
So awhile ago i accidentally formatted my hard drive, I meant to reset my computer to factory settings, but obvisously i pressed the wrong button.

I don't need any of the info that was on the laptop I just need to be able to actually load up some kind of operating system like windows xp, vista or linux.

Right now my laptop says this
downsized1218101511.jpg

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you formatted it, you have wiped out any reference to ALL of its data, including the OS files. Unless you can use utilities to UN-format the drive, your best bet and easiest path forward is to re-install the OS. Do you have the Windows Install disk that came with the machine?

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
go down to the local computer guy's shop. the small ones. ask him to sell you a boot disk. he will probably charge you like 5 or 10 dollars or so. sweeten the deal by bringing a couple blank DVD's for him. sometimes if you got the DVD he will just give you one for free, or just charge you a couple bucks for the time it takes to burn one quick.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
popatim has a VERY good idea there. You say you "formatted the drive". But when a manufacturer of a laptop places a recovery partition (semi-hidden) on the HDD, it is a SEPARATE Partition that is treated as a "hidden drive", and you would be very unlikely to Format that. They "hide" it so you can't destroy it by mistake. SO, IF you do have that feature on your machine (as he said, read the manual!), that is how you can restore the Operating System. You still will have lost ALL your applications and data files, but you say that does not matter.

Dec 12, 2012

Thank you so much for the advice. The program did help me out of sd card raw error. I thought there is no chance for me to do some techie job like this, but I did manage it with this program.

Just want to say big thanks.

answerprovider456

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Thank you!
Your recommended recovery tool did help me restoring my inaccessible and important files as I accidentally formatted my drive last weekend. It was totally free and efficient.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!