RealimeGreen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Ever since I've had this computer (about half a year) I've had problems with the cpu temperature reaching its max, which in turn makes video games stutter and lag. when i first start the game it plays perfectly but after a little while of playing the games it slows down. I've replaced the cpu fan twice and it still seems to be heating up at the same rates.

so my question is, would it be a problem with just the cpu or could it be a problem with my motherboard. What i think the problem is, would be that if i use an inferior motherboard it might have negitive effects on the cpu and its heat output.

just to clarify, i have made sure to apply the heat sink\fan properly with the correct amount of thermo-paste but it still reaches 60+ within a few minuets of game play.

motherboard - Asus M2N-MX SE plus
Cpu - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (not overclocked)
Heatsink - Zerotherm BTF90
Gpu - Radeon HD 4850 (not overclocked)

I can't remember the memory type, harddrive or cd drive

Pretty much i'm willing to buy a new cpu or motherboard, or even both but i'd like to have an idea of where the problem stems and how to fix it. any help would be great

RealimeGreen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
The reason I believe my cpu is overheating is, at the point when my games slow down i check the cpu temperature using "PC Probe" which shows the temperature in the 60's. also I've had the problem where i've installed the HSF incorrectly which led to even greater temperatures (so much so that i'd turn my computer ) once i figured out what the problem was i made sure to install it correctly, and apply the thermal grease properly according to the cpu specifications. Although it gets alittle stuffy in my room during the summer months, the problem still occurs during the winter months when my room is well below normal heating standards... with the airflow problem, i have a case fan and a tower side fan (i don't know what the term is) but it should be sufficient, and i believe at no point should it allow my cpu to reach those levels.

RealimeGreen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
the problem isn;t if i know the temps jive with other programs or my knowledge of my maximum temps, i know that when the cpu reaches 60 or higher. my game lags. I understand that there are no given reasons why my cpu should overheat but it doesn't change the fact that it does or the point that it makes the games lag. I understand you are trying to help me with prime95 but i don't think knowing my max temp is going to do much when i know anything above 60 makes me lag, again i do appreciate the help

RealimeGreen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
speedfan and pc probe both match on the temperature and fan speed, although the voltages differ, with speedfan saying i've got a small increase compared to pcprobe.

with the prime95 it gave me no information it was still running the program while my cpu almost hit 70c and i turned it off

RealimeGreen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
okay, I'll take it that i missed the point on your advice, but i checked with speed fan and its pretty much the same deal. Even though you have not heard of the problem of CPU heat lag it doesn't change the fact that there is a problem with the CPU heat affecting my game play. in fact I'd almost believe that it was my internet connection, but my connection is pretty good and the games i play are mostly offline. with the case side removal, I've actually had an experience where i took the side off and the temperatures went higher, faster. up until recently I've had a room fan(one of the big suckers, at least bigger then my tower) cooling my CPU down. Its worked pretty well, but it only seems like a temporary fix because even now i have a fan blowing air in my face while i play games or surf the web, and it gets a little annoying.

xaira

Distinguished
it has been said that bushig air into a case increases pressure and as a result the heat is raised, id suggest you just use fans to suck air out, just makesure there is ample space for fresh air to get in, but getting an aftermarket cooler wouldnt hurt

RealimeGreen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
i thought it might be clogged fans so i took the zerotherm out and cleaned it nice, but still it doesn't cool the cpu down differently. The fan speed is fine at about 2500 rpm. and i'll have to take a look at the bios settings but i haven't changed much with my bios

RealimeGreen

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
i thought it might be clogged fans so i took the zerotherm out and cleaned it nice, but still it doesn't cool the cpu down differently. The fan speed is fine at about 2500 rpm. and i'll have to take a look at the bios settings but i haven't changed much with my bios