Overclocking failure on 1600mhz

I had a stable 3.5ghz/1.21v overclock on 1333mhz ram running at 1.5v.

I decided I wanted to higher and bought some 1600mhz ram rated at 1.65v.

Every time I run Prime95 pretty much on any settings I get failures. Memory dump after memory dump. I set the dram voltage to 1.64v. I set the timings to 8-8-8-24 just like the Corsair Dominator is rated for and I don't even run it at 1600mhz. I run it anywhere between 1400 and 1550 and no matter what I set the vcore at I get failure. Hell, even if I set it to 1.21v and try for 3.5ghz on the Dominator it fails. What am I doing wrong with this RAM?

Any suggestions?
8 answers Last reply
More about overclocking failure 1600mhz
  1. Do you use auto setting for QPI/DRAM? if so, you might want to manually dial it in for a stable OC.
  2. What CPU? Which motherboard? How many sticks of ram? Which ram model #?
  3. Core i7 920 2.67 D0 Stepping
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP6GX3M3A1600C8
    Evga x58 SLI LE
  4. Yes I use auto for QPI/DRAM. All I was changing was the following settings. This is what I did for the 1333mhz valueram and it worked great.

Changing vcore
    Changing dram voltage to setting for my specific memory to 1.64v
    Changing memory timings to 8-8-8-24 as specified for my ram
    Changing BCLK
    Changing ratio to 2:8
  5. loosen the RAM timings to 9-9-9-25, it will make the ram more stable resistance, if the ram is stable settings( under test stabillity) re-tighten your RAM timings 8-9-9-24 test again .....again , until you get the most stable settings for the system
  6. Both motherboard and memory should support XMP profiles, so enable that in BIOS, and adjust frequency to your preferred level (XMP profiles tells the motherboard the settings for QPI/DRAM, DRAM voltage and latencies).
  7. So basically I just choose XMP profile and then the only thing I would adjust is the ratio to bring down the Mhz to at or under 1600 as I adjust my base clock?

I would really only change my base clock, vcore, and memory ratio then for my oc correct?
  8. Depending on how much of an overclock you are going for, yes.

You might also have to up CPU PLL and CPU VTT slightly.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Memory Dump RAM