Sign in with
Your question

How many years do you use your MotherBoard for?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 21, 2009 8:17:17 AM

How many years or even cpu generations do you use your mb for? DO you usually buy a better faster and cooler chip or wait for a newer CPU to come out with a different pin connector?

Basically Im asking what is YOUR shelf life for a motherboard?

More about : years motherboard

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2009 9:40:51 AM

I have fifteen to twenty MB's, some ten to fifteen years old. Many are running right now from the Socket A, AMD 754 days. I built and use them everyday.
October 21, 2009 12:15:15 PM

I gave a friend a retired AMD X2 system that I bought in summer '05 right when those CPUs came out. Last I heard he was still using that system.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2009 9:12:59 PM

It all depends, if it is a gaming rig then 2 years tops unless I am able to upgrade the CPU w/o having to buy anything else (AMD) . If its an office (DELL) PC then I would say about 5-7 years or until it blows up =)
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2009 5:45:57 PM

Until it's too slow to run current programing, I gage this by my anxiety level. Dents in the furniture mean keep going, broken furniture means upgrade.
December 7, 2009 12:51:43 AM

OvrClkr said:
It all depends, if it is a gaming rig then 2 years tops unless I am able to upgrade the CPU w/o having to buy anything else (AMD) . If its an office (DELL) PC then I would say about 5-7 years or until it blows up =)

Yeah, same I guess two years is fair for a PC that is meant to be for gaming, but that wouldnt necessarily mean the motherboard as you can just generally change the GPU for that. THe CPU might be 3-4years as even the core2duos at 2.8ghz or higher stock are still viable and even great chips to have.

As for office PC's, good point, ppl usually leavie it to their IT or MIS depts to upgrade, replace or change parts/OS due to time which generally is longer than 2years.

In my opinion as long as your case has good airflow and one doesnt leave their PC on 24/7 for years in a row, then it should be fine.... otherwise I wonder when motherboards start to get affected or the CPU before?
December 28, 2009 12:33:20 AM

badge said:
The 785G was released on August 4, 2009. Posting FUD will get you no where on the forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1163214

Maybe he was just saying what he currently has AND the fact that he uses his older/previous motherboards for at least 5 years..... I still have an Intel DG35EC..... man its old but i just put a 5850 on it and its still doing justice for me and my gaming. I do have the board maxed out but my processor is also aging! SO when usb3.0 is available for the x58.... which it will be soon here with gigabytes boards, im going to finally change! I will still use my old board but Ive only been using it for 2 and a half years...... so the 5 year thing doesnt work for me.... the last one processor and board, (pentium 4, 4.0ghz) was used for only 3 years............... are MB lifespans that short with all the tech coming out today????
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2009 1:38:59 AM

With the single post, He was doing nothing other than trying to cause a problem. The single post is likely from a retread.
December 28, 2009 1:51:26 AM

1-2 years for a mobo.
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2009 2:28:52 AM

I've a bit of a caveat in my records, since I got my notebook, there's quite an expanse of time between my last desktop (built ~6 years ago or so; socket A and a 9600XT, originally) and my new one (which will be completed this friday or saturday - i7 920 and dual 5870's :D  ) but, in general, with the numerous other systems that come my way and the machines I use for grunt work, I keep motherboards in service until (a) they die or (b) the power they provide is essentially useless. Turns out to be quite a while, in the order of 4 years or so.
January 8, 2010 9:38:44 PM

frozenlead said:
I've a bit of a caveat in my records, since I got my notebook, there's quite an expanse of time between my last desktop (built ~6 years ago or so; socket A and a 9600XT, originally) and my new one (which will be completed this friday or saturday - i7 920 and dual 5870's :D  ) but, in general, with the numerous other systems that come my way and the machines I use for grunt work, I keep motherboards in service until (a) they die or (b) the power they provide is essentially useless. Turns out to be quite a while, in the order of 4 years or so.

yeah I guess 3-4 years is the average.... i think ill make mine a 4 year mb which will be in about half a year then get a good x58 with usb3.0... any suggestions? I am about to order the motherboard but reading this thread just made me realize that 1) SSD's are still too costly at the low gigabyte count the industry is currently offering at the high prices..... then as we are seeing H55's coming out which are variants for P55's, perhaps there might be a more fluid/efficient/or "upgraded" X58 coming out as well.... maybe one with an onboard hybrid sli between a new i7 with the gpu on the cpu like the newer i5 and i7 lga 1156 chips....... I have to re-think when I should get a new mb...... but its tempting to get one now!!! arghhh..... anyway nice build....
!