Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with PII 955 Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 2, 2009 3:57:10 PM

Hi everybody,

I am looking for some help picking DDR3 memory and a cpu cooler.

It will be going in a GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P and an antec 1200 case.

I'm looking to add 4gb now and upgrade to 8 later. I understand that some of the larger coolers may block memory slots on this board.

I am going to overclock as I learn how.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

More about : pii 955 build

May 2, 2009 4:04:16 PM

for ddr3 the best bang/buck option is the 2ghz CL10 ram by OCZ, it comes in packs of 3x2gb but that just adds to it's bang/buck.

for a cooler try the Titan Fenrir, it's cheap but still does just as well as higher end cooler's such as the thermalright ultra-120.

if thats too big then try the 92mm sunbeam core contact.
Related resources
May 2, 2009 5:34:20 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
for ddr3 the best bang/buck option is the 2ghz CL10 ram by OCZ, it comes in packs of 3x2gb but that just adds to it's bang/buck.


AMD Phenom IIs use Dual Channel Ram, 3x2GB kits are Tripple Channel which are supported by Core i7 CPUs. If you want 6GB for a Phenom II you'll have to have 2x2GB and 2x1GB kits for Dual Channel. Also, there are negligable to no performance increases with 6GB over 4GB. Go with an OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 kit for the Phenom II 955BE.
May 2, 2009 5:39:17 PM

JTP709 said:
AMD Phenom IIs use Dual Channel Ram, 3x2GB kits are Tripple Channel which are supported by Core i7 CPUs. If you want 6GB for a Phenom II you'll have to have 2x2GB and 2x1GB kits for Dual Channel. Also, there are negligable to no performance increases with 6GB over 4GB. Go with an OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 kit for the Phenom II 955BE.


You can still use it though, and it's currently the lowest priced 2ghz ram which isn't 2x1GB that you can get.
May 2, 2009 7:50:43 PM

Is there a alot of benefit going with DDR3 1600 vs DDR3 1333?

May 2, 2009 10:17:36 PM

DDR3 1600 should give you more headroom for overclocking, depending on how you overclock (either OCing the core clock or multiplier). But most benchmarks don't notice any difference in performance between DDR3 1600 or DDR3 1333.
May 2, 2009 10:18:58 PM

sorry double post
May 3, 2009 10:23:13 AM

If you are going to try and overclock down the road it might even be worth your while to find out what kind of IC's the 1600 or 1333 kits use. for instance some 1600 kits are really just 1333 kits that are a slightly better bin, and then the memory company just factory OC's them. and visa versa, sometimes you can get the same (but lower binned) IC's in a 1600 kit that the mem company also OC's to make it their 2000 kit.
keep in mind this may not make all that much difference if you are only going to tinker around with OCing.
My recommendation would be a 4gb 1600 kit like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
because you can overvolt it to 1.95v (which should give you a little room to tinker)without voiding OCZ's warranty.
May 3, 2009 7:53:29 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
You can still use it though, and it's currently the lowest priced 2ghz ram which isn't 2x1GB that you can get.


Yeah...but you'll have to stick one stick of the ram in the drawer, or run in single channel mode with one empty slot on the mobo.
May 3, 2009 8:11:53 PM

And its CL10 . . . very very slow timings
Its cheap for a reason, but buying a 4GB kit with tighter timings will give you the best bang for your buck.
!