Best company for the money?

QuesterLEJ

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Hi everybody,

I recently bought a custom HP Pavilion desktop with a Core i7 processor, but have to return it due to what I can only assume is a bad motherboard. Its connection to my wireless network would periodically drop despite the fact that other PCs in my house could access the Web with no problems. A few days later it started rebooting randomly and gave me Blue Screens of Death when it went into sleep mode.

I'd like the community's advice on various custom-built PC companies. I'd like to spend no more than $1700 on a system including at least a 20" monitor, with a good warranty. I do some gaming; I'm not "hardcore," but I'd like at least midrange graphics capability. I'm of somewhat limited financial means so I need something that can last me 4 years or so with occasional upgrades. But, I also need something that is reliable out of the box (unlike my HP experience).

A friend of mine has recommended companies like iBuyPower, but I've read very mixed reviews of them online. I'd like to try to stay away from building my own system from scratch for reason's that I don't want to go into at the moment.

Any suggestions are welcome!

G

Are you positive you don't want to build your own? You'll get so much more "bang for your buck" it's not even funny. If you must, go to your local best buy or similar store and pick up a major brand computer. I've used a lot of Gateway computers and never had a single problem, not once.

QuesterLEJ

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
The reason I don't want to build my own system is, I have a disability that affects my fine-motor coordination and "tinkering" with components is therefore out of the question. I don't have any "tech-savvy" friends nearby who could put it together for me using components I bought.