Bob Gossmann

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I have OC'd my Phenom ll X4 965BE fron 3400 to 4047 using AMD Overdrive.
It runs smooth as can be and temps are from 25c idle to a max of 35c when playing Black OPs.
The ambient temp is 14c. I was on another forum and someone stated that software OCing was
improper, that any OCing should be done through the BIOS.
Being new to OCing I'd like some thoughts on this. I think that if I get the same final result, using
a utility put out by the CPU maker, What difference does it make? Anyone?
I use a H50 push/pull for CPU cooling.
Thermaltake Armor Case (Steel)
ULTRA LSP 750 PWR Supply
Asus M4A79T Deluxe MB
AMD Phenom II X4 965 OC'd w/Turbov @ 3570 MHz
Corsair H50 CPU cooler Push/Pull fan setup
4 Gigs RAM 2X2 G Skill Rip Jaws DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24
Saphire HD 5750 OC'd w/CCC GPU CLK 825MHz, MEM CLK 1250MHZ
ACER H233H Monitor
Windows XP Home
OC'd CPU to 4047 02/02/11

Solution
A hand tuned BIOS overclock is better because software overclocking tools often set voltages higher than necessary in order to guarantee stability. Higher voltages result in higher power consumption and greater heat, increasing the wear and tear on the CPU unnecessarily. A hand tuned BIOS overclock will allow to to fine tune the voltages to the lowest levels that are still stable so you reduce the heat and wear on your CPU.

Have you checked the voltages that your software OC tool set?

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
A hand tuned BIOS overclock is better because software overclocking tools often set voltages higher than necessary in order to guarantee stability. Higher voltages result in higher power consumption and greater heat, increasing the wear and tear on the CPU unnecessarily. A hand tuned BIOS overclock will allow to to fine tune the voltages to the lowest levels that are still stable so you reduce the heat and wear on your CPU.

Have you checked the voltages that your software OC tool set?

Solution