Sign in with
Your question

Sound card driver for windows 7 ultimate not working

Last response: in Motherboards
October 21, 2009 1:06:10 PM

Hey guys.

I've been running Windows XP on a computer for a little over 3 years without trouble. I recently installed a copy of Windows 7 ultimate (64 bit) and the install went fine. The trouble started when I installed my network card and sound card drivers- on reboot, applications besides Internet Explorer 64-bit were unable to run.

I googled the problem and found a phenomenon identical to mine, with the culprit being audio drivers for a sound card. So I uninstalled the drivers for my sound card, and the problem was solved. But now I do not have sound.

I have never been able to get the sound working on my motherboard, gave up hope on that one a long time ago, so at this point I rely on the sound card for audio. What options do I have, besides getting a new card? Can I use drivers from somewhere other than the manufacturer?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2009 4:55:43 AM

Seems like you have two available options, remove the sound card and enable the onboard sound chip. Drivers have improved in 3 years see if w7 can detect and install drivers for it.
Check with the motherboard web site for updated drivers for the onboard sound.
Failing that disable the onboard sound and replace the discrete sound card. See if win7 can locate drivers itself, use web search if neccessary.
Go to the sound card manufacturers web site for updated drivers for the sound card. Most comments I've seen suggest some level of compatibility using vista drivers for win7, using 64bit will increase the limitations but you need to find out.
!