Your question

Extending RAID5, adding unallocated space, WinServer 2003

Last response: in Storage
December 19, 2010 12:10:31 PM

Basic Info:
Windows Server 2003
Highpoint RocketRaid 1740 card
(4) 1.5TB WD Hard drives in Raid5
Raid5 is not the system/boot drive. It was setup through highpoint webGUI, not through Windows.
This RAID5 is used strictly for holding data (Movies and sitcoms being streamed around the house to (4) old school xboxs running XBMC)

I had three WD 1.5TB in RAID5 (3.0TB) on a Highpoint RR1740 card. I just added another 1.5TB to make it 4.5TB total. I was able to use the highpoint webGUI to extend the RAID5 set. It now shows in Windows Disk Management as having the extra unallocated space.

The disk shows in Windows as a Basic volume and GPT partition type. The main partition is formatted NTFS as 3TB. The new partition is formatted NTFS but no drive letter assigned yet.

I need to know the best method to add this space to the main partition without losing the data.

I have tried diskpart, it states it stats the volume can not be extended. I believe it is because it is a basic disk, not a dynamic disk. Is converting it to dynamic disk and then extending it the proper way to do this? I take it converting it shouldn't cause any data lose.

I have also tried EASUS Partition Master Server Edition, but it says the disk is not supported.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

Mike Busby
December 23, 2010 8:59:10 PM

Windows 2003 doesn't have a way to dynamically allocate drive space like windows 2008 R2 can. You will have to either use a tool similar to partition magic or copy the contents, create the GPT partition to the size you want, and copy it back over.

the_buzz_man said:
Basic Info:
Windows Server 2003
Highpoint RocketRaid 1740 card
(4) 1.5TB WD Hard drives in Raid5
Raid5 is not the system/boot drive. It was setup through highpoint webGUI, not through Windows.
This RAID5 is used strictly for holding data (Movies and sitcoms being streamed around the house to (4) old school xboxs running XBMC)

I had three WD 1.5TB in RAID5 (3.0TB) on a Highpoint RR1740 card. I just added another 1.5TB to make it 4.5TB total. I was able to use the highpoint webGUI to extend the RAID5 set. It now shows in Windows Disk Management as having the extra unallocated space.

The disk shows in Windows as a Basic volume and GPT partition type. The main partition is formatted NTFS as 3TB. The new partition is formatted NTFS but no drive letter assigned yet.

I need to know the best method to add this space to the main partition without losing the data.

I have tried diskpart, it states it stats the volume can not be extended. I believe it is because it is a basic disk, not a dynamic disk. Is converting it to dynamic disk and then extending it the proper way to do this? I take it converting it shouldn't cause any data lose.

I have also tried EASUS Partition Master Server Edition, but it says the disk is not supported.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

Mike Busby

m
l
October 10, 2011 9:33:46 AM

just know that there's a software that helps resize RAID5 volumes, here is a tutorial: extend RAID 5 volume
m
l
!