OCZ Solid replacement

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hi,

Am thinking about replacing my Ocz Solid through a hybrid drive, because the SSD is too slow in my opinion with starting programs and multitasking(systems P4-quad freezes too often) een after a fresh install. I didnt fint any hardware incompatibility but i noticed that my graph card and the ssd are slow components.

So, what hybrid should i take??

Thanks in advance

OCZ Solid 2 Series 60GB Performance
Read: Up to 200 MB/s
Write: Up to 120 MB/s

You have a slightly older OCZ SSD... A new OCZ SSD with SandForce controller performs much better.

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II
Sequential Access - Read:up to 285MB/s
Sequential Access - Write:up to 275MB/s
Power Consumption (Active):2W
Power Consumption (Idle):0.5W

Don't give up on the SSD. If you need the storage, and want to get away from the SSD, the hybrid drive will do fine but will not be as fast as either SSD talked about here.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seagate-momentus-xt-hybrid-hard-drive-ssd,2638.html

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i prefer a ssd, but am somewhat dissapointed in my Ocz. Got a great machine but its not performing the way it should be and it seems that the ssd is the bottleneck

ssd > hhd in terms of speed. by a good margin too.
hhd > ssd in terms of value per gb.

how much ram does your system have in total? what version of windows are you using? i would say 2gb minimum for xp, 3-4 minimum for vista/7. not enough ram will cause slow performance.

i doubt that the hard drive is the bottleneck for slow loading. if you did want to improve speeds into the extreme you could always raid 0 two ssd together for 1.7-1.9x the performance albiet for $$$$$. sounds like you should be looking elsewhere for the problem though.

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
50 percent full. The problem is that i cant do any kind of multitasking. For instance, when an app is installing, i cant check a website or do something else. Am using 64 bit W7, quad core i7 920,asus p6t, 6gb memory(Corsair XMS3 Classic DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz CL9)

Can you advice a speedchecker??