A question

I've got a question: has anyone else felt, after playing The Sims 2,
that you just can't play The Sims 1 anymore?

I just... can't. It feels so old, too confining in a way. This is
weird, though, because I don't have the same problem with SimCity (I
still play 3000 and even on rare occasion 2000, even though I have 4).
I tried to start the Sims yesterday to play, and i stopped 5 minutes
in, after realizing that kids never grow up (that's what pushed me over
the edge), and decided to play SimCity 3000 instead to satisfy my
old-game interest.

I've got a hypothesis, though: In the original Sims, i didn't see my
sims as 'people', with a very few exceptions (a couple of original
characters i created, plus the Goths who i played a little bit). I just
used them as vehicles for fancy decorated houses - which I really
wasn't too good at, btw. The Sims was never my #1 game, until I got the
Sims 2 I played mainly SimCity. The Sims 2 hooked me completely. What's
more, I've actually done quite a bit of actual playing.

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that designing lots and
houses, while improved considerably, hasn't changed as much as the way
the Sims themselves are - especially their creation. The involved
process in creating a Sim in TS2 actually gave me a chance to produce
'unique' individuals, which the original Sims really didn't have.

Anyone else find this?

I haven't played sims1 in years, but have been thinking about installing it
on this machine. Right now I am scared to play sims2 much, as my monitor is
on it's last legs and I need to have it last til at least tuesday :(
But I mainly just build with sims2...............and create recolors for it
too. I just never have been into the playing of the game.

Admiral DanielSBen wrote:
> I've got a question: has anyone else felt, after playing The Sims 2,
> that you just can't play The Sims 1 anymore?

I've felt that way..even though today I started wishing there was a Sims
2 Vacation..because it was so cool w/ Sims 1 to send a family away for a
while..but I can't bring myself to play the old version.

> I just... can't. It feels so old, too confining in a way. This is
> weird, though, because I don't have the same problem with SimCity (I
> still play 3000 and even on rare occasion 2000, even though I have 4).

I disliked SC4. I like 3000 the best. 2000 was even fun too.

> I tried to start the Sims yesterday to play, and i stopped 5 minutes
> in, after realizing that kids never grow up (that's what pushed me over
> the edge), and decided to play SimCity 3000 instead to satisfy my
> old-game interest.

Yes..so much. No facial expressions..no aging for any sims. They just go
on and on. At first..it was so hard for me to adjust to the Sims aging
and dying..but now it's better for the progression of the neighborhood.
And I love seeing features of ancestors in new generations.

> I've got a hypothesis, though: In the original Sims, i didn't see my
> sims as 'people', with a very few exceptions (a couple of original
> characters i created, plus the Goths who i played a little bit). I just
> used them as vehicles for fancy decorated houses - which I really
> wasn't too good at, btw. The Sims was never my #1 game, until I got the
> Sims 2 I played mainly SimCity. The Sims 2 hooked me completely. What's
> more, I've actually done quite a bit of actual playing.
>
> I think this has a lot to do with the fact that designing lots and
> houses, while improved considerably, hasn't changed as much as the way
> the Sims themselves are - especially their creation. The involved
> process in creating a Sim in TS2 actually gave me a chance to produce
> 'unique' individuals, which the original Sims really didn't have.
>
> Anyone else find this?

Yes..it's so detailed now. So much more to do. I remember w/ Sims 1 I
was just excited they could make bread & carrot cake..but now there's
salmon & lobster in lol

--
Nicole
yahooIM: girlsmeg

Admiral DanielSBen wrote:
> I've got a question: has anyone else felt, after playing The Sims 2,
> that you just can't play The Sims 1 anymore?

I don't have room for both on my hard drive.

-georg

aahz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

It's weird; TS1 is so much more fleashed out, with downtown, old town,
vacation island, star town, then magic town, hundreds of outfits, as many
hairstyles, and dozens of user mods, whereas TS2 seems back at square 1.
Granted, it has a lot going for it, but it's going to be a while before I
uninstall my 'ol friend Bob Newbie and the gang.

Admiral DanielSBen wrote:
> I've got a question: has anyone else felt, after playing The Sims 2,
> that you just can't play The Sims 1 anymore?

Completely with you there. I fired up Sims 1 once since getting Sims 2
and spent about five minutes in it. The last thought as I was quitting
was "How did I spend so much time in this game before???" I'm sure I'll
have the same reaction whenever Sims 3 comes along and I install it on
my liquid nitrogen-cooled supercomputer. ;-)

> I've got a hypothesis, though: In the original Sims, i didn't see my
> sims as 'people', with a very few exceptions (a couple of original
> characters i created, plus the Goths who i played a little bit). I just
> used them as vehicles for fancy decorated houses - which I really
> wasn't too good at, btw.

While I didn't see them as "vehicles" for my decorated houses, I did see
them as less than complete, sort of like interactive cartoons. That
allowed me to torment them to some degree, or experiment on them, with
no guilt. ("Gee, what happens it you drain all needs? What happens if
you lock one in a prison two squares by two squares for days and days?
Hey, let's make them drink from the punchbowl for hours and then watch
them pee themselves.") With the new Sims I can't do this. I take their
needs very seriously and try to make their lives as good as possible. I
haven't deliberately killed any and don't want to.

> I think this has a lot to do with the fact that designing lots and
> houses, while improved considerably, hasn't changed as much as the way
> the Sims themselves are - especially their creation. The involved
> process in creating a Sim in TS2 actually gave me a chance to produce
> 'unique' individuals, which the original Sims really didn't have.

Plus their interactions are far more complex. They are much more
"human" now.

> Anyone else find this?

Yup.

--