Sign in with
Your question

Where to install os (raid 0)

Last response: in Storage
December 19, 2010 3:33:57 PM

hi all,

i am currently upgrading my pc bit by bit and i am not sure where is best to install my opertaing system. i am going to be setting up raid o with 2, 250gb hard drives (not sure what ones yet, any sejestions welcome) and i also have a wd raptor 74gb 1000 rpm drive.

should i instal the os on the raptor with all my games ext. or should i install it on the raid configuration away from the games.
or
all on the raptor, and keep raid for storage of movies ext

thanks to all replies in adavance

as a side note, i read that it was best to install games on a seprate drive to the os to improve perfomance, is this correct?

More about : install raid

a c 127 G Storage
December 19, 2010 4:54:34 PM

OS on your raptor; anything else on your RAID0. The advantage here is that accesses to your RAID0 volume will not be hindered by random access on your OS drive; since you got your OS on a separate drive the other HDDs can 'dedicate' themselves to other tasks and not be hindered by the many random accesses.

Note that no HDD could ever begin to challenge a small SSD; so a 30/40GB SSD would still be highly recommended over any HDD for the function of the system disk.
December 19, 2010 6:39:29 PM

thanks sub mesa, awnserd my question perfectly.

do you have any drives in mind?

Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
December 19, 2010 8:47:44 PM

The Samsung F4 320GB are the fastest/cheapest HDDs out now if you don't need alot of capacity. Personally i would prefer 2x 2TB Samsung F4 in RAID0 instead; why don't you write down some options and the amount of money each option costs and pick your preference from there?

I do not suggest buying older disks though; 250GB HDDs would be 3 or 4 generations back; so alot slower!

Generations:

125GB platters -> 200GB platters -> 250GB platters -> 333GB platters -> 400 GB platters -> 500GB platters -> 666GB platters -> 750GB platters

The Samsung F4 is at 666GB platter generation, the F3 is at 500GB platter generation. A 250GB disk would likely be of 250GB platter generation which means it will be alot slower.

The Samsung F4 333GB is actually a 666GB platter with only one side used (only one head instead of one head for each side). So it uses only half of a modern 666GB platter; 333GB raw storage. This means it should be quite reliable, since it has very few mechanical components; even less than single platter HDDs which use both sides of the platter.
December 20, 2010 3:31:46 PM

thanks again sub mesa. so if i gave you £60 to to set up raid o or get a single drive what config would you go for?
December 20, 2010 3:49:12 PM

sub mesa said:
The Samsung F4 320GB are the fastest/cheapest HDDs out now if you don't need alot of capacity. Personally i would prefer 2x 2TB Samsung F4 in RAID0 instead; why don't you write down some options and the amount of money each option costs and pick your preference from there?

I do not suggest buying older disks though; 250GB HDDs would be 3 or 4 generations back; so alot slower!

Generations:

125GB platters -> 200GB platters -> 250GB platters -> 333GB platters -> 400 GB platters -> 500GB platters -> 666GB platters -> 750GB platters

The Samsung F4 is at 666GB platter generation, the F3 is at 500GB platter generation. A 250GB disk would likely be of 250GB platter generation which means it will be alot slower.

The Samsung F4 333GB is actually a 666GB platter with only one side used (only one head instead of one head for each side). So it uses only half of a modern 666GB platter; 333GB raw storage. This means it should be quite reliable, since it has very few mechanical components; even less than single platter HDDs which use both sides of the platter.

wow thanks for the info.

Any links on a 666gb or 1tb drive ????

How do you know which drives are which ???
!