Where to install os (raid 0)

hi all,

i am currently upgrading my pc bit by bit and i am not sure where is best to install my opertaing system. i am going to be setting up raid o with 2, 250gb hard drives (not sure what ones yet, any sejestions welcome) and i also have a wd raptor 74gb 1000 rpm drive.

should i instal the os on the raptor with all my games ext. or should i install it on the raid configuration away from the games.
or
all on the raptor, and keep raid for storage of movies ext

thanks to all replies in adavance

as a side note, i read that it was best to install games on a seprate drive to the os to improve perfomance, is this correct?
5 answers Last reply
More about where install raid
  1. OS on your raptor; anything else on your RAID0. The advantage here is that accesses to your RAID0 volume will not be hindered by random access on your OS drive; since you got your OS on a separate drive the other HDDs can 'dedicate' themselves to other tasks and not be hindered by the many random accesses.

Note that no HDD could ever begin to challenge a small SSD; so a 30/40GB SSD would still be highly recommended over any HDD for the function of the system disk.
  2. thanks sub mesa, awnserd my question perfectly.

do you have any drives in mind?
  3. The Samsung F4 320GB are the fastest/cheapest HDDs out now if you don't need alot of capacity. Personally i would prefer 2x 2TB Samsung F4 in RAID0 instead; why don't you write down some options and the amount of money each option costs and pick your preference from there?

I do not suggest buying older disks though; 250GB HDDs would be 3 or 4 generations back; so alot slower!

Generations:

125GB platters -> 200GB platters -> 250GB platters -> 333GB platters -> 400 GB platters -> 500GB platters -> 666GB platters -> 750GB platters

The Samsung F4 is at 666GB platter generation, the F3 is at 500GB platter generation. A 250GB disk would likely be of 250GB platter generation which means it will be alot slower.

The Samsung F4 333GB is actually a 666GB platter with only one side used (only one head instead of one head for each side). So it uses only half of a modern 666GB platter; 333GB raw storage. This means it should be quite reliable, since it has very few mechanical components; even less than single platter HDDs which use both sides of the platter.
  4. thanks again sub mesa. so if i gave you £60 to to set up raid o or get a single drive what config would you go for?
  5. sub mesa said:
    The Samsung F4 320GB are the fastest/cheapest HDDs out now if you don't need alot of capacity. Personally i would prefer 2x 2TB Samsung F4 in RAID0 instead; why don't you write down some options and the amount of money each option costs and pick your preference from there?

I do not suggest buying older disks though; 250GB HDDs would be 3 or 4 generations back; so alot slower!

Generations:

125GB platters -> 200GB platters -> 250GB platters -> 333GB platters -> 400 GB platters -> 500GB platters -> 666GB platters -> 750GB platters

The Samsung F4 is at 666GB platter generation, the F3 is at 500GB platter generation. A 250GB disk would likely be of 250GB platter generation which means it will be alot slower.

The Samsung F4 333GB is actually a 666GB platter with only one side used (only one head instead of one head for each side). So it uses only half of a modern 666GB platter; 333GB raw storage. This means it should be quite reliable, since it has very few mechanical components; even less than single platter HDDs which use both sides of the platter.

wow thanks for the info.

Any links on a 666gb or 1tb drive ????

How do you know which drives are which ???
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Games Storage