I have read reports that the socket 775 will be discontinued later this year :??: Does that also mean that the actual CPU's themselves will be discontinued ?
I have a 775 board that i was planning to upgrade but am now wondering whats going to happen.
Will the CPU's start going down in price before they go up because they are rare which i believe usually happens ?
I was looking to upgrade to a Q8400 but am now wondering if thats a waste and i should start saving for maybe an i5 set up instead ?
Questions,Questions
Any advice or light that anyone can give/shed on this issue appreciated

Mactronix :)

Depends on the cost though dosent it.
Im in the UK and i can get a Q8400 for around £100.
The I5 will need a new board probably DDR3 memory as well ? and the chip itself. Now thats got to be easilly north of £200 i would have thought.
So the real question is do i just start again with a whole new sytsem or upgrade what i have leaving half a perfectly usable system in the dust doing nothing.
Guess i have to wait and see what the pricing is like.
Thanks for the reply

Mactronix

Telling me that its already dead isnt really helpfull guys, the Q8400 isnt the fastest chip for that socket but when overclocked it keeps a stock i7 honest as far as gaming goes at reasonable resolutions. I know it gets left behind a bit at the very top end but thats not where im at so thats all not really relevant to me.
Im just worried about missing the boat price wise as usually the price will drop off and then go up when the chips get less abundant.
I guess i just have to wait for next months reviews of the i5. If the results are that compelling i will save for a year or so and then get a new set up. If not i can get a highend 775 chip.

Mactronix

775 is dead.... Same as AM2 and soon AM2+....

They will be selling untill all retailers run out of chips.... Then its up to you to buy them from e-bay if you feel the need.....

As it happens i was talking to someone who i have known around a different forum for ages about this today and they told me that the chips wont be going anywhere soon.
So with this info on board im quite happy to wait a bit and see what happens with the prices, at least i know they wont be just stopping making them.

Mactronix

Well I guess your source needs to read a tad more....

775's are not being manufactured anymore.... Intel has a boatload of them stocked for distribution to all retailers... So in all you will be able to aquire one if you need to but they are on the backburner and soon they will be in their respective graves...

Point 1. I am assured they are still manufacturing them but as your contradictory statement sugests they are indeed on the back burner
Point 2. Yes Intel do have a boat load and suppliers are heavily stocked with both Motherboards and chips so it will take a while untill manufacturing ramps down to the point of stopping.

I didnt actually know the person in question actually worked for Intel untill about an hour ago as we usually chat about GPU's. If i had known i would just have PM ed them and asked.

Mactronix

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ they're not manufacturing them anymore, hence the reason for LGA1156's delay, they delayed 1156 because retailers wouldn't be able to sell off their Core 2 Quad stock when 1156 comes out, and they would have still had Core 2 stock now if 1156 came out in July.

Intel will keep making 775 CPUs, just not faster ones than what's out now. Basically they will have enough supply to keep their business customers happy for a year or so. As yields get better lower power versions will be introduced, which may allow for better overclocking. You won't see any new steppings (perhaps a small one if it simply improves yeilds) or die shrinks for LGA 775 CPUs though.

Well again I do not know where you guys are getting this info from....

As far as the Core2Duo's, they ARE NOT being manufactured anymore.. Do you guys really know how this process works? When Intel is ready to launch a new socket (LGA 1156 for example), before they setup the platform for the new rollout they manufacture around 5-10 million units (depending on "supply & demand ATM) and stock up... Then they start producing the new chips and ONLY the new chips, in this case the i7's and i5's and some Xeons that will be replaced later by a new chip..... Yea the LGA 775 quads are still being manufactured in low quantities due to the fact that there is no high demand for them now since the i7 took over....Once the i5's come out full force the only chips that will be currently manufactured by intel are the i7's and i5's... the rest will be history.....

Intel works in a similar way as to Apple and Blackberry....

When the first iphone came out, Apple sold more than 10 mil in the first 6 months...Then as time progressed Apple came out with the newer more powerfull iphone and stopped making the first version since they already had produced more than what they were going to sell.... Then they started to sell the first gen phones at a much lower price just to get rid of them ASAP...and so forth....this is the way companies manufacture their products...the cost of producing old-school products and new products at the same time is out of the question since the manufacturing costs would be too high....(note: this process is done with most tech related companies and does not have to do with everyday necessities)

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
You are wrong.

Let me be more concise. You seriously underestimate the transition time to a new architecture. The Penryn generation and the Nehalem/Westmere generation will be side by side in manufacturing for a considerably long period of time. Certainly there will be an end, and it will be in the next couple of years sometime. But not today.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but just cause you googled that absurd answer, it does not make your statement correct.... Son, you have a lot to learn due to this manufacturing process has been in the loop since the Pentium 4's......