Sign in with
Your question

What parts? Windows 7 (RC) computer 7.9 on WEI

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2009 7:15:48 PM

I'd like to see Tom's (or anyone) try to build a Windows 7 (RC) computer that scores 7.9 on the MS WEI (Windows Experience Index).

Never seen it done or sold anywhere.. Doubt it can be done, Microsoft just made up the figures, didn't they. [:grahamlv:1]

That has to be 7.9 in every cat. CPU, MB, graphics, HD, et al. What hardware do you need to buy??? Have you ever seen software with a 'base score' printed on the pack?

==Below is the pre Help page in Windows 7 (7057) beta==

Quote:
What is the Windows Experience Index? [:grahamlv:3]
[This content is preliminary and subject to change.]

The Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer's hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a base score. A higher base score generally means that your
computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks.

Each hardware component receives an individual subscore. Your computer's base score is determined by the lowest subscore. For example, if the lowest subscore of an individual hardware component is 2.6, then the base score is 2.6. The base score is not an average of the combined subscores.

You can use the base score to confidently buy programs and other software that are matched to your computer's base score. For example, if your computer has a base score of 3.3, then you can confidently purchase any
software designed for this version of Windows that requires a computer with a base score of 3 or lower.

The base scores currently range from 1.0 to 7.9. The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improves, higher base scores will be
introduced. However, the standards for each level of the index stay the same. For example, a computer scored as a 2.8 will remain a 2.8 unless you decide to upgrade the computer's hardware.
May 3, 2009 10:02:52 AM

i think

intel core i7 965 3.2 GHZ overclocked to over 4 GHZ
3xgtx 285 overclocked
12 gb ddr3 2000 MHZ with low timings
DELL or another excellent 30" Lcd monitor
asus rampage extreme
2xIntel X25-E Extreme SSD
2xwestern digital 1tb with 32 mb cache
HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1
Expensive water cooling system

May 3, 2009 2:44:54 PM

Well, if 7's WEI is anything like Vista's you don't need a monster PC to score the 7.9, for instance, in Vista the max score is 5.9, a 8800 GT can achieve that, a Q6600 can easily get the 5.9 in the CPU subscore and so on.

So, just guessing here, I'd say the 7.9 in Win 7 could be reached with:

Q9400 (or similar) @3.6 GHz

GTX260 216 core (or similar)

Any DDR3 kit in triple channel, or a DDR2 kit with good timings at 800 MHz or more

WD Caviar 640 GB (or similar) black edition or any raid 0 array with 7200 RPM disks

This should score a 7.9 or very close to that, after all MS needs to inflate those results as much as posible to help boost software sells

And, about never seeing the score printed on software packs, I think they don't do that so people wouldn't think the software is only Vista complatible, they used to rank a lot of software accorfing to scores needed to run them in MS Marketplace, but they changed that into MS store and got rid of the scores (or so it seems at least)
Related resources
May 3, 2009 3:23:29 PM

In a couple of years we'll find these pages linked to on Google from someone looking to compare how much faster their 64-bit 640-core, 64GB system is to a computer system from the here and now. That WEI would be a joke in 3 or 4 years.
January 3, 2010 9:17:25 AM

8 GB DDR 3 OC
3.6 GHZ Quad Core Phenom 2
2 x SSD in Raid 0
4870x2 (or 5800 series ati) OC'ed

7.9 all round ;) 
!