Harddrive not detected in disk management

Hello,

I have a problem i need help with. i recently removed a 60gb harddrive from a laptop because the laptop was old and bought a casing for the harddrive so i can use it as an external HD. problem is it can read on other laptops but on the one i'm using now it doesnt even register in disk management! i tried updating to service pack 3, it doesnt work. HELP
3 answers Last reply
More about harddrive detected disk management
  1. bmokgautsi said:
    Hello,

I have a problem i need help with. i recently removed a 60gb harddrive from a laptop because the laptop was old and bought a casing for the harddrive so i can use it as an external HD. problem is it can read on other laptops but on the one i'm using now it doesnt even register in disk management! i tried updating to service pack 3, it doesnt work. HELP

Is the drive seen in device manager ? If so, right click and scan for hardware changes, might help.

This may also help. Power down the laptop.
    Power down the drive, and remove USB cable from Laptop.
    Power up Laptop, when in Windows, power on the drive.
    Wait 10 -20 seconds before plugging in the USB cable.
    Does it show in disk management & device manager ?

What are your laptop specs ?
  2. When I plug the external HD it doesn't register at all even in disk management or device management. The harddrive is an IDE and the laptop specs are: HP Compaq nx6310, windows xp professional version 2002 service pack 3, intel cpuT2300 1.66ghz, 1gb ram. I have another 500gb harddrive which is working just fine with this laptop so i dnt know what the problem is. The problem harddrive works fine on other laptops except for mine!
  3. bmokgautsi said:
    When I plug the external HD it doesn't register at all even in disk management or device management. The harddrive is an IDE and the laptop specs are: HP Compaq nx6310, windows xp professional version 2002 service pack 3, intel cpuT2300 1.66ghz, 1gb ram. I have another 500gb harddrive which is working just fine with this laptop so i dnt know what the problem is. The problem harddrive works fine on other laptops except for mine!

Since you have eliminated the fact that the Drive is Bad (it works on other Laptop), then it is most likely the fact your USB Hub has insufficient power output. The Hub supplies power for Multiple devices. If your other 500GB drive is connected at same time, that could be your problem. I would boot with only the problem device connected and see what happens.

Actually I would disconnect all USB devices, printer scanner what ever you have then connect them one at a time starting with the HD.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Laptops Disk Management Hard Drives Windows XP