evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Hello all, I'll get straight to the point

I currently have a Zalman 9700 NT with a QX9650 OC'ed to 3.67ghz (Stock voltages) and it gets quite hot idling at 49c and when on say 79% load its get to 60C (in the best case scenario), I plan on getting a Coolermaster V10 HSF. I'd like some input on this before I buy this heatsink or any other heatsinks. These idle temps are in their best case scenario for the summer, during winters temps on my cup drop as low as 39c and load no higher then 56c.

Note that I live in Canada, particularly in Calgary where summers here can have my cpu idling at 51~60C during the summer and 70% load at 79c+.

most of the time I'm encoding videos and such, or playing CPU intensive games such as Supreme Commander and load temps skyrocket.

CND pricing please and thanks in advance.

*Edit system specs

Cooler Master (1 front intake, 3 side intakes, 1 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust)
830 stacker
Zalman 9700 NT
QX9650 OC'ed to 3.67ghz
Corsair 8GB XMS DHX 800mhz
Evga 780i
xfx 9800gtx
creative sound blaster x-fi
Corsair 1000HX 1000watt psu

Do you have decent airflow through your case? Those temps look high. Have you tried removing your HSF, cleaning off the old thermal paste, applying the thinnest possible layer of a decent new paste (e.g. AS5) and remounting the HSF?

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Yeah, I have done all of that already, I guess I should have listed the rest of my specs but here it goes

Cooler Master 830 stacker
Zalman 9700 NT
QX9650 OC'ed to 3.67ghz
Evga 780i
xfx 9800gtx
creative sound blaster x-fi
Corsair 1000HX 1000watt psu

Ambient temps here can get as high as 27c during the summer and peak at 30~34 during the afternoons.

I currently have 3 side panel fans, 1 front intake, 1 top exhaust and 1 rear exhaust fan. Filters are cleaned every 2~4 weeks.
the last time I remounted my HSF with AS5 was this year May, i made sure to apply a really thin layer of AC5 it was just enough to spread around the CPU, I also checked its footprint to make sure my heatsink was making perfect contact with the cpu before putting it back in my case.

Ouch! That V10 is extremely expensive and massive, I'm using a Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Prime95 small FFTs @ 61c with a Q9550 OCd to 3.83G, and my voltage is not stock its running at 1.40v so the cooler is an excellent cooler.

What you're considering is $100.00 more, but the end results don't deliver that kind of cooling performance, that you're paying all that extra money for, Coolermaster also makes a HDT [Heatpipe Direct Touch] cooler.

Get what you want man its your money but that V10 looks like a nightmare to install and may interfere with some of the comb style memory modules, I would check Coolermasters website to make absolutely positive, it fits your particular M/B before I sunk the money in it.

You could get the new Corsair H50 closed water cooling system for less, it seems to do a great job of cooling according to the reviews I've looked at.

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Well price isn't that much of a problem, but my temps are say, unusually high, but at the same time I don't want to go water cooling because I'm just staying here temporarily. so naturally I'd want a really good air cooler, since I don't want the hassle of going WC and spending tons more just to take it apart next year.

I've already made sure that the V10 fits my case and will fit my Corsair DHX memory beneath it, so space isn't really a problem either.