Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is Bios? And How Do I Replace Mine?

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Overclocking
  • BIOS
  • Phoenix
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 21, 2009 8:06:57 PM

like what are they physically? can i buy one? do they come with new mobos? will i have to reformat if i get a new one?

the reason im asking is because i have this phoenix bios and i can't overclock with it. they locked it up apparently.

thanks people

More about : bios replace mine

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2009 2:20:23 AM

Read 1st - Wikipedi - BIOS.

How Stuff Works - BIOS

Hate to say it, but plain and simple, you sound like you have a lot to learn before you even attempt to begin learning to overclock systems safely.

I could tell you how to update your BIOS, but then again, I honestly don't have any clue as to how well you follow instructions or how much you actually know.

I would advise you to have someone locally who does know what they are doing download the newest BIOS
(if there are any updates available) from the motherboard manufacturer for the exact motherboard you are using, then to have them update the BIOS and do the overclocking for you. Or bring it into a local computer shop and see what they have to say about the system you are trying to overclock..

This way, you will minimize the risk of anything happening to your system from an error on your part. Cause if you mess up while updating the BIOS, then the motherboard will basically be toast.
m
l
October 22, 2009 4:44:45 AM

well i read up on overclocking and was in the process of it when i realized the phoenix BIOS i had prevents you from Ocing for saftey issues.

so i wanted to know basically if i could replace the BIOS chip or just buy a new mobo.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2009 1:11:49 PM

Reading up on overclocking and actually doing it without damaging your system is two different things.

Then again, a lot of newer motherboards are designed for overclocking.
But there are still a lot that are not designed to be easily overclocked.

The BIOS is contained within a chip that is either soldered onto the motherboard or at best, the chip will be in a socket.

To update the BIOS, you need to check the manufacturer website of the system or of motherboard that you are using and you will need the exact model number so you can find the correct BIOS/Firmware for your system. You can also find the service manual there too.

After that, there are steps that need to be taken to prevent the BIOS from becoming corrupted while updating. A corrupted BIOS can and will ruin your system unless your motherboard has one of the newer BIOS recovery features or in the worst case scenario, a BIOS chip in a socket which can be replaced with a new one from the manufacturer.

As to the steps that need to be taken, this can vary depending on the system as there are different ways to flash the BIOS.

But the most important thing If you do the BIOS update from within Windows is this:

- Use an Administrator Account
- make sure your system is clean of any Malware
- physically disconnect the network cable from your system
- temporarily disable UAC
- temporarily disable any Anti-Virus or other resident security programs
- Make sure no unnecessary programs are running

Follow any instructions associated with the Windows Flash utility and you should have no problem. If there is a problem, then it may be cause of manufacturer problems with the BIOS such as with the Gateway FX6800 systems.

Anything made by Acer you need to be careful of, as their support is not vary good.
Acer owns Gateway, Packard Bell, eMachine and I'm not sure what other brands they own.

There are other ways of flashing BIOS with the oldest way being by floppy (still used). Also depending on the motherboard, you can use flash drive or CD.

If you want to learn about overclocking, you might want to get a hold of an older system first. Something that is known to be good for OC'ing so you can practice on and learn a few things. This way, if you make any mistakes and cook the processor, it won't be any great loss.

BTW...

For any further help, more information will be needed.

If custom built system - Brand & Model number of motherboard
If a store bought system - Brand & Model number of system

As for any specific information, your best bet would be from someone who owns or has worked with the same motherboard as they would know of any specific problems there may be with the motherboard in question.
October 23, 2009 9:06:30 AM

ok well im going to get the info from my mobo and go to their website and figure out what i need to download to update it. first.

thanks for putting in the time to right all this. really appreciate it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 23, 2009 10:44:38 AM

You should also know that your windows operating system is tied to your motherboard for certain oem systems, and backup dvd's won't work on another board. I learned that lesson the hard way. So, if you use an oem system and don't have a spare operating system or don't want to use ubuntu, then I wouldn't change the bios or board.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2009 10:56:53 AM

If there are still no overclocking options even after an update then most likely your board cannot properly do an overclock. There are a lot of factors why the manufacturer of your motherboard didn't enable overclocking, some include:
1. Your board is old and in the years before overclocking wasn't a "feature" as it took time to write and test the the available options in the BIOS (Vcore, FSB adjustment, etc).
2. The quality of the components in the board is not the best. To prevent the thing from dying prematurely or causing a fire the manufacturer might be limiting th board to always just run at "safe parameters".

You could just get a new motherboard or pc (that supports overclocking), it'd be a heck of a lot easier.
m
l
!