Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which of these video cards is worth buying?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 24, 2009 1:42:08 AM

EVGA 01G-P3-1182-AR GeForce GTX 285 FTW Edition 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

SAPPHIRE Atomic Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire (GPU at 1000 MHz w/ Vapor-X technology)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 24, 2009 2:24:49 AM

What are you using this for, what are your system specifications?
May 24, 2009 2:35:08 AM

I plan on using this for mostly gaming for such games as Crysis and Far Cry 2. This is going to be part of my new build that will most likely have a i7 920 Processor.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2009 2:48:40 AM

If you check the benchmarks on this site I think you will find the GTX 285 is generally the stronger card , but whether you need it is all about the resolution of your monitor .
May 24, 2009 12:36:00 PM

The recommended resolution of my monitor is 1280 x 1024 on a 19". I was planning on purchasing this new build soon, so any opinions would be appreciated.
May 24, 2009 7:07:18 PM

Bumppp.
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2009 7:08:20 PM

Get the 4890, much better in price-per-performance
May 24, 2009 7:14:34 PM

4890 all the way.

gtx285 + the ftw edition lol is jsut too much for your monitor. I mean the only game it could struggle ... is Crysis at very high with AA and AF enabled. It will play Far Cry 2 maex out though.

Plus if we count with you

2 +8 +5 + "X" as losw pressure turbo = 15 +6 = 21
4+8+9+0 = 12+9+0 = 21

Yes, n vidias performance is still betterr at this particular power index.

Consider buying Hd4890.
May 24, 2009 7:19:08 PM

Christopher11 said:
4890 all the way.

gtx285 + the ftw edition lol is jsut too much for your monitor. I mean the only game it could struggle ... is Crysis at very high with AA and AF enabled. It will play Far Cry 2 maex out though.

Plus if we count with you

2 +8 +5 + "X" as losw pressure turbo = 15 +6 = 21
4+8+9+0 = 12+9+0 = 21

Yes, n vidias performance is still betterr at this particular power index.

Consider buying Hd4890.

Drop the joke already. I've seen at least 10 threads where you've used this "numeric theory".
May 24, 2009 7:25:34 PM

g3force said:
Drop the joke already. I've seen at least 10 threads where you've used this "numeric theory".



this is not jioke, this is theory which was made by our research bureau.

And one more thing: tell me what did I say wrong? Please compare facts and statementz from my posts to the ones posted now and further and to graphics charcts.
the thing is - tbhis theory works.
May 24, 2009 7:58:30 PM

@Christopher11, according to your theory the 9800GTX is better than the GTX295. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2009 8:01:30 PM

Christopher11 said:
this is not jioke, this is theory which was made by our research bureau.

And one more thing: tell me what did I say wrong? Please compare facts and statementz from my posts to the ones posted now and further and to graphics charcts.
the thing is - tbhis theory works.


You have a research bureau - yet you can't even spell correctly.

lulz
May 24, 2009 8:10:46 PM

Oh dont be envy because.. yes I dO!
May 24, 2009 8:21:49 PM

GTS458 said:
@Christopher11, according to your theory the 9800GTX is better than the GTX295. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 



No way.

9+8+0+0 = 17 whereas 2+9+5+ low pressure turbo ) x 2 = 16 +5-6 ) * 2 = 42-44.


17 < 42-44
May 24, 2009 8:40:09 PM

RivaTNT64 = 6+4+Kaboooom (TNTx400) = 130000000000

I want a TNT....

This is hilarious, the funniest thing I have seen on Tom's.

AC
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2009 10:14:37 PM

If you are going to keep your 19" monitor and run at 1280 x 1024 you don't need either of those cards or a Core i-7.

You would be far better off with an Nvidia GTS250 or an ATI 4850. They have more than enough pixel power for a 19" screen. You would be over-paying otherwise.

If you want a better card you should invest in a bigger monitor first.

You only need power house cards like what you are looking at for 24" inch monitors or better.
May 24, 2009 10:48:15 PM

+1 what Rwayne posted.
May 24, 2009 11:02:19 PM

Christopher11 said:
No way.

9+8+0+0 = 17 whereas 2+9+5+ low pressure turbo ) x 2 = 16 +5-6 ) * 2 = 42-44.


17 < 42-44


9800GTX and the 250 GTS are near about the same...what does your theory suggest

9+8+0+0=17

2+5+0=7

????????
May 24, 2009 11:27:06 PM

UberGenocide said:
9800GTX and the 250 GTS are near about the same...what does your theory suggest

9+8+0+0=17

2+5+0=7

????????



The turbo boost is not reflected in the gts 250 name.
Its 2+5+0+10 = 17
May 25, 2009 12:12:39 AM

Christopher11 said:
The turbo boost is not reflected in the gts 250 name.
Its 2+5+0+10 = 17

Can you link/cite a reputable source regarding this theory?
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2009 2:51:34 AM

g3force said:
Can you link/cite a reputable source regarding this theory?


He pulls this information out of his ass.
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2009 2:54:13 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
He pulls this information out of his ass.


+1
May 25, 2009 5:22:25 AM

g3force said:
Can you link/cite a reputable source regarding this theory?



The source of this theory is our research bureau. I posted some information on it but eventually the thread was aloced.. and i wanted to add up even more..
!