Sign in with
Your question

Replacement mainboard, opinions

Last response: in Motherboards
October 21, 2009 9:03:19 PM

Hey there!

Apparently my mainboard is making some trouble (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-273027_13_0.html) and I'm looking to replace it.

I was thinking of buying this as I've only read good things about it and a friend recommended it after having installed two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is my current setup:

XFX 512 GTS 250
Intel Q9550 775 2833 BOX1333 12M
Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX2
Asus P5Q-Pro P45
Corsair 4GB 1066-555 Dual Channel

Do you think it's a good choice or should I rather get something else? (Price doesn't matter.)
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 22, 2009 12:09:22 PM

Have you tried ubuntu 9.04 yet? It has detected all the devices in several of my boards so far. I ordered it and also burned a free copy. You can also try a bios update at your own risk. I have used asrock p45 and g43 boards; they work well but are less successful at overclocking. I like to save money. You should also list your problems before ordering a new board, which may require a format and fresh install of your programs. This forum and anandtech are pretty good with helping.
Related resources
October 22, 2009 1:29:09 PM

Thanks for your input! Guess I'll be getting one of these then, thanks.

o1die said:
Have you tried ubuntu 9.04 yet? It has detected all the devices in several of my boards so far. I ordered it and also burned a free copy. You can also try a bios update at your own risk. I have used asrock p45 and g43 boards; they work well but are less successful at overclocking. I like to save money. You should also list your problems before ordering a new board, which may require a format and fresh install of your programs. This forum and anandtech are pretty good with helping.

Thanks for the suggestions but I've been trying to determine the cause of my problems for about 2 months now. I've posted on different forums and tried everything I possibly could. I've formatted entirely, several times, tried different distros (including Ubuntu, I run Linux exclusively), different desktop environments, different setups and different software sets. I've run all the diagnostics/stress tests one should run, several times. I've checked my temps several times with different utilities and even manually as best I could. I've tried all RAM slots etc etc. Now I am pretty certain that it must be my mainboard and everyone else agrees, though one can't be 100% in my case as it would seem. This is pretty much the end of the line.
a c 156 V Motherboard
October 22, 2009 5:16:26 PM

I have a UD3L. Good board.

If you know you are not going to CrossFire, you do not need the UD3R. Save $20.
!