This One WIll Get you thinking

Revelate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Right Im stumped I can not work this out. I'm baffled I hope I can explain this so it is clear and precises, here goes. I recently had Drama with a New motherboard I put in yesterday my CPU was being over volted by the bios and the memory controller was giving me blue screens. So I replaced the motherboard back to my old one. Story gets better. When the Left Side panel of my 1200 Chassis is OFF and I mean Pulled OFF as in I only have 3 sides to a chassis, front, right (Cable Management side) and rear of course but the LEFT is completely off the CPU runs at 33 Degrees Celsius. Whilst Monitoring Everest and Replacing the Left Side Cover for the chassis the CPU temp increased to 39-40 Degrees Celsius. What the heck could cause such a discrepency I cant see anything from the PSU touching metal so no shortage appears imminent also if anyone has a 1200 chassis or knows a bit about them theres a spot for a 120mm fan on the wall I have one in there when I put it on the CPU increases to around 41 Degrees instead of 39-41. My system specs are as follows;

AMD Phenom II 940 BE @ Stock 3ghz
8gig Kinston HyperX DDR2 @ 1066
Coolermaster 850W PSU
ATi Radeon HD 4890 (Gigabyte)
Antec 1200 Chassis/PC Case
Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP/780G AMD Chipset
Sound Blaster X-Fi PCIe Extreme Audio Card
Samsung 225ms Monitor
Logitech X540 Speakers
Logitech G15 Keyboard (Origional model)
Razor Copperhead Mouse
(Sorry If Ive stressed to much on peripherals I want to make sure I cover my bases)

if anyone, anyone at all has any idea why this is happening or has experienced a similar issue please advise. ive done the following. Gone through all 3-4 Bios's on Gigabytes Website. Changed Voltages manually for the CPU. Infact the Auto Voltage now is under voltage at 1.34v (its ever so slight), Dram Voltages and all extras appear to be ok. The system is not OC'd in any way shape or form its as stock as a clock.

Cheers

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You listed everything except the most important item: CPU cooler.

Reseat your CPU cooler, if the temps are far off from what they were. Chances are it may not be properly mounted.

Revelate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

The CPU Cooler is Stock, Spinning at constant 3,200RPM I turned all K8 Features Off and Disable all Smart Fan Features. Spins the same speed all the time, I have reseated it about 3 times today repasting the thermal paste but thats not whats causing the issue. Something to do with the case left panel being put on increases the CPU heat for no apparent reason. (Might be one of those things where you have to see it to believe it)

Cheers

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Taking the side off will generally decrease temps, but you need to check your air flow through the case to get temps down with the side on. You want the airflow to move from the front of the case to the back, so be sure you have all of your case fans on and moving air in the right direction. The bigger the case, the more fans you need to keep the air moving through the entire case. It sounds like your cpu has a dead air zone around it, so adjust your case fans to get that air moving to the back of the case.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Yep, I suspect airflow too. Do you have all the fans in the right place? 3 intake on the front, two on the rear sucking air OUT of the case, and one exhaust on top?

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'd replace the HSF, that should get your temps back under control. I use the Noctua NH-U12P myself (same Proc) I also replaced the stock fans with Scythe S-Flex fans, as I hate LED fans. The Tuniq Tower would also serve well.

Revelate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

I dont suspect its airflow, yes you are correct with the Antec 1200 it has 3 Fans at the front, 2 at the back one 200mm on top, as I mentioned I do have a 120mm Side Fan. So 7 Fans all in operation youd think the airflow wouldnt be that bad :S.. Ill get a new heat Sink today IH8U and let you know how that goes, cheers.

Revelate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Well everyone you were right with the airflow to some degree, this is what is happening. as I was placeing the left cover on the chassis I noticed as I was watching through the plastic panel the hologram in the middle of the CPU Cooler was "Slowing Down" Yes it slowed down, so I thought there must be a short somewhere. So I stripped the chassis apart almost couldnt find anything put it back together same thing.... Anyways this is what ive done. I placed the CPU fan in to the Power supply plug on the motherboard and disabled CPU fan fail warning prior to doing this. Would ya Freakin believe it it works, fan spining at 3.3k RPM temps are down to 33-34 Degrees for the CPU. Unbelievable, it must be the 4th Wire on the Heatsink Fan cuz the Power Supply fan slot only runs on 3 Points. But it solved the problem..

Anyone else had this issue with a Chassis possibly shorting something and how did they solve it, thanks everyone too for your suggestions, it lead me to watch and observe things I wouldnt of thought of, cheers.

Let us know please if you have had something short and how you fixed it, thanks.

P.S EDIT: I Jsut retried my theory by literally cutting the Yellow (4th) Wire to the CPU Fan, it still did it, but again I have put it back into the Power Fan Slot and its fine.

EDIT: After 10minutes Temps when Up again, Its doing the same thing. SO has to be a short IM assuming, the Fan literally slows down when I apply the left Door of the chassis.

Cheers