Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 + Gigabyte EP45-UD3P OC

jiangyi

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hi, everyone! I'm a total noob at OC (I have no experience whatsoever), and I would like to try to OC my Q9550! Here's my setup:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 at stock settings (25°C idle, 38°C load)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ with stock paste
Super Talent DDR2 800Mhz 5-5-5-15
ASUS Radeon HD 4870
Seasonic S12II 520W PSU

I would like to know how far this chip can be pushed without damaging it, and how far it can go on stock voltage! Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
On stock voltage I was able to get to 3.4 GHz with little trouble after that it starts needing extra anything over 3.8 needed to much voltage IMO to stay stable , but it was still with in spec until I hit 3.9 and above.

The only way to learn is to read up on it as much as you can also it is a good idea to read your motherboard manual and become familiar with the bios.

Read this
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide
It is a very helpful guide. Overclocking is alot of trial and error and takes time and patience, but with the right knowledge its not bad at all. The Q9550 is a great processor and can take a good bit of abuse and keep going as long as you keep the voltages below 1.36 and temps below 60C the...
On stock voltage I was able to get to 3.4 GHz with little trouble after that it starts needing extra anything over 3.8 needed to much voltage IMO to stay stable , but it was still with in spec until I hit 3.9 and above.

The only way to learn is to read up on it as much as you can also it is a good idea to read your motherboard manual and become familiar with the bios.

Read this
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide
It is a very helpful guide. Overclocking is alot of trial and error and takes time and patience, but with the right knowledge its not bad at all. The Q9550 is a great processor and can take a good bit of abuse and keep going as long as you keep the voltages below 1.36 and temps below 60C the chip will last a very long time.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum

Solution