Sign in with
Your question

What is the difference between these 3 OCZ SSD drives?????

Last response: in Storage
December 20, 2010 2:08:33 PM

I have decided to purchase SSD... seems many reccomend the OCZ with Sandforce 1200 controller ...

What is the best of these below?
What is the difference???

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

vs

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

vs

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Is there anything else I should get instead?

I want to spend 250$ about
December 20, 2010 4:09:57 PM

Hello,

First, forget the last one, the RevoDrive. It doesn't support TRIM.
Secondly, also forget the 3.5" drive. Why get an SSD as big as an HDD ?
Thirdly, the Agility 2 only writes up to 10'000 IOPS, so I wouldn't take it either.
Finally, the Vertex 2 is in my opinion the best ssd in your list. It supports TRIM (with a SandForce controller) and has 50'000 IOPS, which is great.

Buy the OCZ Vertex 2 and you can't go wrong !

Have fun !
al360ex
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2010 4:17:38 PM

They are both vertex 2 so the difference is only the size? ???

m
l
December 20, 2010 4:18:26 PM

I would be installing into a 3.5" holder slot in my case as I am replacing a 3.5" drive.

know if it comes with adapter for this if I get 2.5" ?
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:28:42 PM

Mfusick said:
They are both vertex 2 so the difference is only the size? ???

Yep, the only difference is physical size. And the resale value : a 2.5" drive will resell a lot better.
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:37:04 PM

al360ex said:
Yep, the only difference is physical size. And the resale value : a 2.5" drive will resell a lot better.

I won't resell it. I would just remove and put into old PC.. or buy new rig as I update things from time to time as technology comes along.

This drive will replace my velociraptor which I plan to use for my documents, and holding my mp3s.

I still need a good big 1TB drive for mass storage of movies and stuff... long term.

suggestion?
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:39:31 PM

ok so a 120 gig 2.5" it will be !!

why is the 120 so much cheaper than the 160gig or 180gig?

I mean its less than half the price ??????
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:45:25 PM

Mfusick said:
I won't resell it. I would just remove and put into old PC.. or buy new rig as I update things from time to time as technology comes along.

This drive will replace my velociraptor which I plan to use for my documents, and holding my mp3s.

I still need a good big 1TB drive for mass storage of movies and stuff... long term.

suggestion?

I'd personnally go with the Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 6Gb/s or the Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 6Gb/s
They are kind of expensive, but they'll last long. And if you don't have 6Gb/s SATA ports, it also works on SATA 3Gb/s.
I reccomend 2TB, because in some years, video files and company will have become very big because of always increasing resolutions.
The WD Caviar Black also comes in a 1TB version, and a 3Gb/s version (1TB or 2TB)
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:47:08 PM

Mfusick said:
ok so a 120 gig 2.5" it will be !!

why is the 120 so much cheaper than the 160gig or 180gig?

I mean its less than half the price ??????

It's cheaper because the technology required to make 120+ is more costly...In a few years, the price will be almost the same.
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:52:28 PM

al360ex said:
I'd personnally go with the Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 6Gb/s or the Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 6Gb/s
They are kind of expensive, but they'll last long. And if you don't have 6Gb/s SATA ports, it also works on SATA 3Gb/s.
I reccomend 2TB, because in some years, video files and company will have become very big because of always increasing resolutions.
The WD Caviar Black also comes in a 1TB version, and a 3Gb/s version (1TB or 2TB)

This logic is strong. But I have purchase at least 1 drive per year for the last 10 years and I don't see that changing.

I don't mind upgrading or purchasing additional drives in the future as the performace always increases too:) 

I have SATA II now..

What is the difference between the Black vs the Blue vs green wd's I see??

The green 1TB is like 50$... lol. SO cheap.

I want max performance and don't care about my energy bill.

Is the seagate better than the WD's ?? Seems like people like the samsung's too ???

If I am looking for max performance what should I get?
m
l
December 20, 2010 5:10:01 PM

If you're looking for max performance, any one of the two are top of the line. My preference goes with Seagate, but that's just a personnal opinion, not based on any facts :)  ! Usually, the bigger the drive, the better the performance (in synthetic benchmarks anyway, I don't know for real life, the same goes with SSDs).

For the difference in colors...Blue is mainstream, Green is eco-friendly and Black offers the best performances (at a higher price).
m
l
December 27, 2010 12:19:05 PM

I am considering a set of 3 or 4 blue WD's 500 gigs in Raid 0 since they are soooo cheap.

Vs a single 1.5TB 7200rpm black

What you guys think ?
m
l
!