What is the difference between these 3 OCZ SSD drives?????

I have decided to purchase SSD... seems many reccomend the OCZ with Sandforce 1200 controller ...

What is the best of these below?
What is the difference???

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227551

vs

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227590

vs

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227543

Is there anything else I should get instead?

I want to spend 250$ about
13 answers Last reply
More about what difference drives
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227578

Oh an last...

Would this be a better option ???
  2. Hello,

First, forget the last one, the RevoDrive. It doesn't support TRIM.
    Secondly, also forget the 3.5" drive. Why get an SSD as big as an HDD ?
    Thirdly, the Agility 2 only writes up to 10'000 IOPS, so I wouldn't take it either.
    Finally, the Vertex 2 is in my opinion the best ssd in your list. It supports TRIM (with a SandForce controller) and has 50'000 IOPS, which is great.

Buy the OCZ Vertex 2 and you can't go wrong !

Have fun !
    al360ex
  3. They are both vertex 2 so the difference is only the size? ???
  4. I would be installing into a 3.5" holder slot in my case as I am replacing a 3.5" drive.

know if it comes with adapter for this if I get 2.5" ?
  5. Mfusick said:
    They are both vertex 2 so the difference is only the size? ???

Yep, the only difference is physical size. And the resale value : a 2.5" drive will resell a lot better.
  6. Mfusick said:
    I would be installing into a 3.5" holder slot in my case as I am replacing a 3.5" drive.

know if it comes with adapter for this if I get 2.5" ?

Yes it comes with a 3.5" adapter : http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/sata-ii/2-5--sata-ii/performance-enterprise-solid-state-drives/ocz-vertex-2-sata-ii-2-5--ssd.html (in the Specification tab)
  7. al360ex said:
    Yep, the only difference is physical size. And the resale value : a 2.5" drive will resell a lot better.

I won't resell it. I would just remove and put into old PC.. or buy new rig as I update things from time to time as technology comes along.

This drive will replace my velociraptor which I plan to use for my documents, and holding my mp3s.

I still need a good big 1TB drive for mass storage of movies and stuff... long term.

suggestion?
  8. ok so a 120 gig 2.5" it will be !!

why is the 120 so much cheaper than the 160gig or 180gig?

I mean its less than half the price ??????
  9. Mfusick said:
    I won't resell it. I would just remove and put into old PC.. or buy new rig as I update things from time to time as technology comes along.

This drive will replace my velociraptor which I plan to use for my documents, and holding my mp3s.

I still need a good big 1TB drive for mass storage of movies and stuff... long term.

suggestion?

I'd personnally go with the Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 6Gb/s or the Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 6Gb/s
    They are kind of expensive, but they'll last long. And if you don't have 6Gb/s SATA ports, it also works on SATA 3Gb/s.
    I reccomend 2TB, because in some years, video files and company will have become very big because of always increasing resolutions.
    The WD Caviar Black also comes in a 1TB version, and a 3Gb/s version (1TB or 2TB)
  10. Mfusick said:
    ok so a 120 gig 2.5" it will be !!

why is the 120 so much cheaper than the 160gig or 180gig?

I mean its less than half the price ??????

It's cheaper because the technology required to make 120+ is more costly...In a few years, the price will be almost the same.
  11. al360ex said:
    I'd personnally go with the Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 6Gb/s or the Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 6Gb/s
    They are kind of expensive, but they'll last long. And if you don't have 6Gb/s SATA ports, it also works on SATA 3Gb/s.
    I reccomend 2TB, because in some years, video files and company will have become very big because of always increasing resolutions.
    The WD Caviar Black also comes in a 1TB version, and a 3Gb/s version (1TB or 2TB)

This logic is strong. But I have purchase at least 1 drive per year for the last 10 years and I don't see that changing.

I don't mind upgrading or purchasing additional drives in the future as the performace always increases too:)

I have SATA II now..

What is the difference between the Black vs the Blue vs green wd's I see??

The green 1TB is like 50$... lol. SO cheap.

I want max performance and don't care about my energy bill.

Is the seagate better than the WD's ?? Seems like people like the samsung's too ???

If I am looking for max performance what should I get?
  12. If you're looking for max performance, any one of the two are top of the line. My preference goes with Seagate, but that's just a personnal opinion, not based on any facts :) ! Usually, the bigger the drive, the better the performance (in synthetic benchmarks anyway, I don't know for real life, the same goes with SSDs).

For the difference in colors...Blue is mainstream, Green is eco-friendly and Black offers the best performances (at a higher price).
  13. I am considering a set of 3 or 4 blue WD's 500 gigs in Raid 0 since they are soooo cheap.

Vs a single 1.5TB 7200rpm black

What you guys think ?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD OCZ Solid State SATA Storage Product