Confused about all these 1TB hardrives for sale... help me understand

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
OK, so there is Seagate, WesternDig, Hitachi ect...

Seems all about the same price. I have always used WD and had good luck.. but I am not brand specific.

I see some BLUE and some GREEN and some Black models for WD. What does this mean??

I don't want a drive that is slow to save energy. I am looking for maximum performance.

What 1TB drive should I get?

I could also do 500gig or 750gig... or even 500gigX 2 in RAID 0.

But I want to spend about 100 bucks if possible. I would step up if the performance is worth it.

I plan to use 120gig SSD for system, and I also have a Velociraptor now as my system which I will use for installation of alternate programs and holding my MP3 and Itunes foldes ect....

The 1TB will be for general storage, and movies and downloads

Not true, at least not as far as the WD drives are concerned. All of the BLUE drives are 7200RPM - see: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=110

Frankly, I've never really understood the distinction between the BLUEs and the BLACKs. For example, if you compare the specs of the 1TB blue WD10EALX against the 1TB black WD1002FAEX, they both have exactly the same transfer rates.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
These graphs may help you decide:

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/io.tests/platter.transfer.crossover.graphs.2.png

As a general rule, the 7,200 rpm drives will perform much faster
if they use PMR (perpendicular magnetic recording) just because
of the higher recording density.

We are routinely measuring 150 MB/second with the WD5003ABYX RE4
using the ATTO benchmark:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136697&Tpk=N82E16822136697

WD does not publish this number; instead, their specs show
a "sustained" rate, which is different from the faster rate
at the outermost tracks.

Because of the large cache and 5-year warranty, we plan now
to migrate to RAID 0 arrays with 2x or 4x of these WD5003ABYX.

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> Frankly, I've never really understood the distinction between the BLUEs and the BLACKs.

WD just updated their corporate website:
check there for the latest documentation
e.g. "Drive Specification Sheets".

MRFS

> WD just updated their corporate website: check there for the latest documentation e.g. "Drive Specification Sheets".
Yes, I checked them just before my prior post - that's where I got the info about the quoted transfer rates being exactly the same between the 1TB Blue and the Black drives (126MByte/sec)

Looks like my post included a miscreant trailing parenthesis in the link, though - I removed it so it should work now.

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

faster than a 1.5TB seagate ??? I can get a 7200 seagate for like 70$ brand new... seems like a great deal.

Wondering if I should spend more. I don't mind if the performance is there... but it is just storage as I have a velociraptor and a 120gig SSD as main drives

The Scorpios are laptop drives. The "normal" speed for laptop drives is 5400RPM, so the "Black" drives are definitely designed for people looking for extra performance.

But for desktop drives the "normal" speed is 7200rpm, and the Blues and Blacks both run at that speed. I really don't see much to distinguish the two...

popatim

Titan

Aside from the yet to be released single platter ~667gb based drives all the new drives use 500gb per platter pmr so a 1.5tb (3 platter) drive is no faster than a single platter 500gb. Its not like the multiplatter drives use some kind of raid0 internally to read from all 3 platter simultaneously.

Keep iin mind - More platters = more heat and more things to break.

> so two or three 500gig drives in RAID 0 would be a better and faster option ?

Faster transfer rates, but not access times. It means you can read or copy large files from one place to another faster, but it won't have that much of an impact on booting the system or starting applications.