Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Samsung F series vs WD black series? What's the best large drive ???

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 20, 2010 5:13:28 PM

I need a 1TB -2TB mass storage drive to go with my new SSD 120gig Vertex2 I just ordered that I will plan to put my OS on it. I am going to keep my 300gig Velociraptor that is my OS drive now.. for my documents, and Music and downloads.

The big drive will be used for long term storage of movies and programs and stuff.

I am looking for max performance and size for under $200. What is the best?

It seems people like the Samsungs and the WD's.

Anything else I should consider?

What better?
a c 813 G Storage
December 21, 2010 1:11:35 AM

I would narrow that down to the samsung and the WD blacks or RE's.
RE's are excellent performers but you pay extra for it. The samsungs are also very nice and fast. For reliability I would suggest the 1tb drives. Current drive technology is about 500gb per platter so a 2 platter 1tb drive would run cooler than a 4 platter 2tb drive.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 12:14:38 PM

popatim said:
I would narrow that down to the samsung and the WD blacks or RE's.
RE's are excellent performers but you pay extra for it. The samsungs are also very nice and fast. For reliability I would suggest the 1tb drives. Current drive technology is about 500gb per platter so a 2 platter 1tb drive would run cooler than a 4 platter 2tb drive.


How do I know what platter technology or generation drives are ???

Here is what I am looking at below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|22-136-805^22-136-805-TS,22-152-185^22-152-185-TS,22-152-238^22-152-238-TS,22-136-284^22-136-284-TS

What would you get ??
m
0
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 12:46:32 PM

Mfusick said:
How do I know what platter technology or generation drives are ???

Here is what I am looking at below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|22-136-805^22-136-805-TS,22-152-185^22-152-185-TS,22-152-238^22-152-238-TS,22-136-284^22-136-284-TS

What would you get ??


I went with the Spinpoint F3. The Spinpoint F3R looks to be a tad faster (which you probably would never notice) but is 30$ more.

I bought the 69.99 F3 you have in there though.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 3:50:58 PM

echod said:
I went with the Spinpoint F3. The Spinpoint F3R looks to be a tad faster (which you probably would never notice) but is 30$ more.

I bought the 69.99 F3 you have in there though.


yeah I need two more drives for my main pc... thinking I am going to RAID 0 two of those F3 sammy's for 2TB

That should hold a few movies:) 

I just wonder if the black WD's are a better option being only $44 for 640gig's and having 6G sata and 64mbcache ???
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 6:27:38 PM

Mfusick said:
yeah I need two more drives for my main pc... thinking I am going to RAID 0 two of those F3 sammy's for 2TB

That should hold a few movies:) 

I just wonder if the black WD's are a better option being only $44 for 640gig's and having 6G sata and 64mbcache ???



???
The 640's are older technology as someone has already stated. Why would you want to do that?
You will not notice a difference with the 6bg/s and 64mb cache either. From what I've read nothing really utilizes 64mb of cache right now.

And the 6gb/s are for future products to be taken advantage of. Not really HDD's.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 6:30:38 PM

Posted by Blackhawk192:

blackhawk1928 said:
Fewer platters are better in every capacity, a single higher density platter is far faster then two lower density platters. The hard drive head reads more data in a smaller movement resulting in lower latency, higher reads, and higher writes. Plus few platters means less power to turn them, quieter, and less heat generated. Moreover if you have two platters thats 1 extra platter that can fail.

m
0
l
December 30, 2010 9:13:23 PM

I got two SAMMY 1TB's

I have not decided if I want to RAID them or not.. but probably will.

m
0
l
January 10, 2011 9:07:50 PM

Mfusick said:
I got two SAMMY 1TB's

I have not decided if I want to RAID them or not.. but probably will.


That's exactly what I did as well. Just did it with the F3 instead of the F3R's in a RAID-0 setup. The drives individually max at about 140MB/s which is excellent throughput. Unfortunately, the on-board nForce RAID set to RAID-0 knocks that down to a steady 50mb/s. It was just a cheap PC I threw together a few years back and wanted to upgrade the aging hard drives.

I have some Seagate NS-series, the WD 500GB Black and a couple of the F3's. The F3's were significantly faster than any other drive I have. I may order 4-6 of the F3R's for my home server to replace the aging Seagate 500GB's in it now. I see that Micro Center has them for $70, so I may take a trip up there.
m
0
l
!