Is there a way to upgrade a 32bit to a 64bit, if so how?

LethalPudding

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Hey i have a 32bit computer, and im going to be making some changes to my computer by adding an extra 2gigs of ram and a new graphics card, and i was wondering if there was any way of changing from a 32bit to a 64 bit??

Thanks For your help

NegativeX

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
You will need to backup all your pertinent data, then completely re-install your OS with a full, 64 bit version of Windows XP/Vista/7. (assuming you use Windows)

There is no upgrade path unfortunately.

It requires a clean/fresh install. Couple different ways:

(1) If you install the 64 bit OS to the existing drive/partition, it will put the existing install into a folder called "WINDOWS_OLD". You will be able to retrieve your data, but unable to run your existing applications.

(2) You can purchase a new drive, or add a new partition on the existing (if you have the space), and install the new OS to that. Your existing install will be unsullied. From there, you can set up dual boot, or use the F6/F8 keys on startup to choose which drive/partition you want to start from.

(2a) If you use step 2, you can access your data. And might be able to run certain applications (Ones which are self contained and which use no registry entries - Off the top of my head I know that Thunderbird and World of Warcraft are able to do this) from the new OS. This will be hit and miss - mostly miss - depending on the app. And understand there is a small risk that the new OS might cause some corruption of the old. Not recommended, but it could be done. Be advised you may need to give yourself permissions for the old drive in the new OS.