Sign in with
Your question

Trouble configuring 2 drives optimally

Last response: in Storage
December 20, 2010 9:54:15 PM

I have 2 hard drives. #1 - WDC WD1001FALS, #2 - WDC WD 1002FAEX. #1 is my main drive now with Win 7 ultimate 64 bit running but its been acting up. #2 is still unallocated. Ive tried many external drives, many eSata cables, many external enclosures with #2 on ASUS M4A78T-E, my newer ASUS M4A79T Deluxe and have never had my computer recognize them via eSata. I am not going to run a back up drive via usb 2.0. Eventually im going to buy another WDC WD 1002FAEX and an ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 to take advantage of the newer eSata 6gb/s capability. For now though i want the #2 drive to be my primary and want #1 to be be volume shrunk so I san still have an OS on it and use the rest on a different partition for back up. Ive heard conflicting stories about trying to use the same copy of Win 7 on 2 different drives. I have saved everything i need from drive #1 on my 32Gb flash drive except the 200Gb of MS software i downloaded via Tech Net. All i want is the new #2 drive to have win 7 ult 64, be my primary drive and transfer back those 200Gb from #1. Id like to keep th OS on #1 but i have no problem reformatting it for just backup for now as long as i can get those 200Gb of MS downloads transfered to #2. PLEASE HELP.
December 21, 2010 1:22:27 AM

Download and install this.
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en
Hook up the 2 nd drive. Run the software you downloaded.Set up the new drive and "clone" or Copy drive 1 on to drive 2. Be sure to make it bootable.
Shut down.
Now swap the SATA port1 cable from drive 1 to the 2nd drive. Now boot into the bios and make sure to check boot shows as the new drive. Finish booting into windows. Make sure everything apears to be working correctly.
Shut down.
Now hook up the old original C: drive. and boot into windows. It should get assigned a new drive letter but all of your data will be intack.

You will now have two copies of all of the data originally on the C: drive.
m
l
!