Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unknown Slot on server

Last response: in Storage
December 20, 2010 11:32:11 PM

I am trying to put a date server together for my home network. I got a Dell Powershot 2850 off of surplus. It is very nice server for what I am doing. The only problem is it is only SCSI drives it can hold. Sadly I don't have a few grand I can throw at this for scsi hard drives. So I am looking at other ways to add hard drive to the server. The server has 3 slots that I don't know what they are. I am thinking they might be PCI X but I am not sure,

If I can figure out what they are I was hoping I could get a SATA adapter and add some (normal computer) hard drives. Then I would just need to figure out a containment box to put the harddrives in an power them.

More about : unknown slot server

Best solution

a c 95 G Storage
December 21, 2010 12:04:19 AM
Related resources
December 21, 2010 12:40:15 AM

Those are PCI-X, but you can also use them as regular PCI slots and run some SATA drives off of a regular controller...
m
l
December 21, 2010 12:49:59 AM

Would a regular pci card be more compatible then a pcix card? Or does it depend on the card?
m
l
December 24, 2010 7:21:45 AM

Well thanks for your help.
I got me a SATA PCI Addapter, for my server, and now I can add more harddrives for my server.
by the way FYI, to anyone who wants to know, you can't use PCI cards that do not have a 3volt notch on PCIx slots.
m
l
December 24, 2010 7:22:07 AM

Best answer selected by catsrules.
m
l
!