New CPU not working

duppa

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I bought a P4 3.0ghz processor. (The bus speed for the CPU is 800mhz)
I replaced it for my older P4 1.6ghz CPU. My motherboard only supports up to a 400mhz fsb. Thinking that is would slow down I replaced them and booted up. My BIOS screen poped up and said that there were dual cpu's one running at 1.6ghz and the other at 0mhz. I proceded with caution. Boot-Up was terribly slow and a lot of heat started. When I got to the windows loading screen it took forever then I received the "blue screen" and a reboot. I switched the processors back around after everything cooled down and it ran perfectly.

Is there any reason why it performed and read terribly?

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
The FSB on your motherboard is 400 mhz and your Prescott P4 runs at 800hmz. The two cores you are seeing are the physical core and the virtual core (hyper threading). I would guess that you need to upgrade motherboards.

duppa

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Thanks. The only bad thing is that I don't haven the dough right now for a new mobo and since it's a dell :(, that's not going to happen. the bad thing is I cant disable hyperthreading thanks to bios. but anyways thanks. i was looking for a quick fix but thats not going to happen. lol