Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Okay so i overclocked my video at stock voltage i get 880/2150 on the gtx460. I added my ram to put it at 1600mhz 6-8-6-24 CR1 on 1.56volts in the bios. So now i wanna overclock my i7 950 on stock voltage hoping to get 3.5ghz if im lucky. Now I havent really done overclocking on cpu before through bios. If i just wanna up the mhz speed from 3060mhz to 3.5ghz(i know it differs so i might not get it in stock voltage) do i do the same up the mhz speed every .25mhz then run prime 95? do i need to up the BCLK Frequency? or can i keep that normal by just upping the speed of the cpu?

Solution
It sounds like you really need to read up on how to OC an i7 9xx CPU, here is a great guide. The guide uses an ASUS board but the steps are the same for any other manufacturer out there, only thing to know is that QPI/DRAM = QPI VTT in other manufacturers BIOS.

That said, you could try just upping BCLK to 145 and see if it is stable, but leaving settings on AUTO, even if stable, is not advisable, as the motherboard will generally overvolt (if it will be able to keep it stable at all).

Also remember to keep an eye on your temps! You do have an after market cooler, right?!

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
It sounds like you really need to read up on how to OC an i7 9xx CPU, here is a great guide. The guide uses an ASUS board but the steps are the same for any other manufacturer out there, only thing to know is that QPI/DRAM = QPI VTT in other manufacturers BIOS.

That said, you could try just upping BCLK to 145 and see if it is stable, but leaving settings on AUTO, even if stable, is not advisable, as the motherboard will generally overvolt (if it will be able to keep it stable at all).

Also remember to keep an eye on your temps! You do have an after market cooler, right?!

Solution

Espada

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
yea i figured it out before you put that up lol thanks. I just ran prime 95 for 40mins temps on everest went 75,73,74,71 while hwmonitor went 74,72,73,70.
i raised the blck to 167 and put the cpu ratio to 21.
cpu running at @ 3505mhz
ram ddr3-1669 6-8-6-24 CR1 i upped the volts from 1.56 to 1.58 to be on the safe side
everything actually good it was alot easier than i thought. and yea left at stock voltage i just wanted to make sure i knew how to overclock this cpu just incase i ever have to. now ima put it back to normal so i can see my beautiful 65C on full load.